Extracting Gold from Seawater

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Their comes a point when the teacher realizes he has taught his pupils and taught them well!
It is then time for the master to move on to the next set of challenges and pupils that awaits him. Harold is off sharing his knowledge so that it may be utilized and passed on for future generation to come just like he has left his mark on the forum as the gentleman above elegantly stated. It gives him purpose and through that purpose he gains strength to continue forward with meaning in his life.

Palladium said:
Their comes a point when the teacher realizes he has taught his pupils and taught them well!
It is then time for the master to move on to the next set of challenges and pupils that awaits him. Harold is off sharing his knowledge so that it may be utilized and passed on for future generation to come just like he has left his mark on the forum as the gentleman above elegantly stated. It gives him purpose and through that purpose he gains strength to continue forward with meaning in his life.

butcher said:
I find wisdom in them thar southern words Palladium,

Hear-here!
-to the gentlemen's club!

One last thing about extracting gold from seawater. The amount of gold per volume of seawater is so low that you need a huge part of energy to extract a tiny bit of gold. This energy is far more worth than the gold you extract. Even when you produced the energy by solar cells, you would be far beter of selling your energy.

I love the question. and I like that you addressed the energy needs up front. I dont think you were looking for an economic analys but an academic" is it possible" and how.
the availability of an energy source interacting with the resources of the ocean opens up all kinds of possibilities,

When you buy "sea salt" you are buying evaporated sea water. It's sold as 98% pure salt. That other 2% contains all that gold, along with just about every other mineral/metal known to mankind.

Just purify that sea salt to 100%, put the leftover 2% on sale on eBay as "gold bearing salts for recovery", sit back and rake in the money. :G

You would have to compete with the other selling their goods for gold recovery, but if you got the going price of gold in the scrap that on some of those public sales on eBay do well it is just highway robbery...

How many have lost money trying, or with some type of a scam?

Do not forget about all of that gold in our well water, I remember someone talking about seeing the gold in their coffee cup.

I would forget getting gold out of the water or salts, I would concentrate on mining the beach sands and ocean bottom.
We should be looking for mining claims and deep-sea mining if we want gold from our waters.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I’d assumed that the gold in the seas would be dissolved because of the chlorine in sea water, hence the difficulty in recovering it, so it would not make sense to try to catch any particulates as gold been dense would sink to the bottom to be slowly dissolved by the chlorine and action of tides.

The main question is economics.

Most likely it would be more concentrated in sea salt, so it should be easier to get to it there.
As a by product from some other process... maybe?
Lithium Magnesium and more are extracted from sea salt already I think.

It may or may not be possible in the future, using the same method they used to exctract Uranium from seawater.
This link gives nice pics :)
https://newatlas.com/nuclear-uranium-seawater-fibers/55033/
but there are plenty other links out there.

So it may be just to get the right polymer in the right design and then plenty of time :)
But then again I guess Gold is cheap comparing to Uranium.

gold deposits .pngGold in the ocean as coins are not dissolved by the seawater, too much of any extent that I know of...

Gold in nature is dissolved and accumulated through hydrothermal processes, of volcanoes, and the movement of earthquakes or plate movement and gold is also accumulated through gravity separation of river and streams and beach sands (which is normally derived from load veins of gold accumulated and deposited from the plate movement and mountain building and deterioration process.

We have more volcanic activity, continental and oceanic plate activity under our ocean floors that we do on land, there is more potential for gold to be on the bottom...

Much of the gold mined on land came from the ocean beds and plates, as the plates of the coast slid upon each other like dominos converging and colliding upon each other the hot hydrothermal fluids flowing through cracks deep in Earth’s crust with high temperatures and pressures the gold is dissolved and deposits in veins or pockets, some scientist believe almost instantly in an earthquake.

https://www.livescience.com/27953-earthquakes-make-gold.html
https://www.disclose.tv/underwater-gold-mining-seabed-mining-robots-310762

Could you please tell me why should I accept the
I give up... several members and me too have given you the numbers, made the calculations and given several arguments to why it is not feasible to extract gold from seawater economically and still you cling to your one number that is off by a factor of 1000 from every other source, including their own numbers.

There is a reason that none of us have even tried to extract gold. We do the math first to see what is feasible. There are so many sources of gold, some economically, some not. Do the math and decide what to pursuit. Sometimes we do it just for fun or to learn a new technique but we don't get blinded by an irrational love for gold.

I will give you a final answer on your last question.

No and No.

Göran
Why do you keep resisting on that number?? And why don't you analyze it by yourself?? Who said it is 00,4 ppb?? Those ancient researches don't even match with one another! However it must be a secret to all people. By the way check pubchem site for the real number

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct me if I’m wrong but I’d assumed that the gold in the seas would be dissolved because of the chlorine in sea water, hence the difficulty in recovering it, so it would not make sense to try to catch any particulates as gold been dense would sink to the bottom to be slowly dissolved by the chlorine and action of tides.
It is dissolved and exists as an ion.

Why do you keep resisting on that number?? And why don't you analyze it by yourself?? Who said it is 00,4 ppb?? Those ancient researches don't even match with one another! However it must be a secret to all people. By the way check pubchem site for the real number
"Why are you this much pessimistic? If you are professional, you must see that the stone is wet and there is no shine of mica on them!"

Maysam, you've been on the forum for less than a day and this is the second post I've found where you're attacking a Mod/Admin. What is your deal? Also, if you have a complaint about someone's fact's here, it's on you to prove it wrong with some sort of documentation, citation, research, etc. Telling other people to "go look it up" is a logical fallacy argument and doesn't help anyone.

Elemental

Last edited by a moderator:
Thus far, there is no method capable of economically recovering gold from seawater.

Perhaps, in the future, an individual or group, with people much more clever than I, will come up with something. Right now, nothing.

Time for more coffee.

we do rely on research done before, because it would take immense effort to validate all things by ourselves. i dont have access to measure picogram quantities of gold in the whatever quantity of water. some folks had the right equipment and recieved the numbers we have. and there wasn´t one, there were many of them :)
i dont think that me or you can do better in analysis of such a low concentration of element. researchers didn´t have equivalent samples, and if you look to the numbers given here, you will see vast difference in concentration, depending on location. previously described (higher) numbers were questioned in terms of contamination. how do you asses no contamination from the enviroment, transportation or instruments alone, regarding nearly everything inside the machines is made of metal ?
use search engine. most of the research you think of had been done before.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0012821X9090060Bhttps://www.thoughtco.com/how-much-gold-is-in-the-ocean-4165904https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1742-6596/908/1/012045/pdf
there is even a patent claiming process of extraction of gold from seawater, altough from 1901. and when you read first like 50 lines, it become obvious that this is complete nonsense :)

https://patents.google.com/patent/US679215A/en
more research reveal some older data:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0375674288900519
recent advantage of usin MOF (metal-organic frameworks) with built polymeric substances inside the cavities, capable to adsorb, encage and chemicaly selectively reduce Au3+ to nanoparticles of gold. this may be the future of wastewater and seawater goldmining, if there would be some anywhere in the future:

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jacs.8b09555

Back