Failed! POOR'S MAN NITRIC ACID

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did you performed the reduction ? It is a slow reaction requiring prolonged heating and good pH adjustment.
Pd on the walls is real, it tend to form mirrors also.
It does not necessarily mean there is lot of precious metals in the wire, if it is marked with rhombus. Also hard to just say it is palladium without some clear evidence.
yes I believe that was palladium because the sncl test don't lye

Yes I meant to say he went all threw that and got very little Pt. You are better off with a Pt coin if you could afford it and dissolve it in 70 percent Nitric acid. Poorman chemist once did this with Pt and Palladium they were a nightmare to extract (Pd was tho).

Hmm prob sulfuric acid contamation. Why don't u try making more Nitric acid by carefully adding Potassium Nitrate 250 g to 500 ml of concentrated sulfuric acid 98%? Keep in mind this is very dangerous and should only be done if you know what you're doing. I made Aqua Regias with 200 magnesium nitrate and 330 ml of 31 percent Hydrochloric acid a makeshift material to dissolve metals (Mo, Au, etc). I refluxed and the NO2 destroyed some of my rubber hoses that vent the gas.

Attachments

• FH1XZNHJX573Q8U.jpg
    FH1XZNHJX573Q8U.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 0
Yes I meant to say he went all threw that and got very little Pt. You are better off with a Pt coin if you could afford it and dissolve it in 70 percent Nitric acid. Poorman chemist once did this with Pt and Palladium they were a nightmare to extract (Pd was tho).
Pt will not dissolve in Nitric, Pd do.
Pt may follow the Pd to a certain degree though.

Altough not all components, they marked components with precious metals content with the rhombus mark, circled red on the photo. If you find this mark on some scrap, it is very very likely (almost certain) that it contain PMs - Ag, Au, Pt, Pd or Rh.
But it do not apply in reverse - that if the rhombus mark is missing, there are no PMs. Many times, there are PMs and marking is missing. Some facilities used also triangle and square markings... But they aren´t that certain in terms of probability as rhombus.
View attachment 51994
yes is true that wire resistor contain palladium

yes is true that wire resistor contain palladium
Very very few of them contain precious metals. Rhombus marking is a good lead and there is very high chance you have them present. Otherwise it´s lottery. Most of power resistor wires are Nichrome, Kanthal or other base metals alloys containing Ni, Cr and Al. Particularly nichrome is quite resistent to nitric dissolution. And even AR is chewing it relatively slowly. Also, colour of the solution will be faint greenish blue, not Pd-coloured.

Back