Fake or not

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark o

Hi all Looking for advice
Just starting to collect pamp 1g gold bars
Recently purchased one and when I was checking the serial number with the outer packing which are the same
I noticed the serial number on the bar when looked at through a eye glass the numbers are drilled not stamped is this normal any advice would be greatly appreciated 51F3FAF3-FD14-4688-965D-03A33D1FC060.jpeg
Have attached a photo

Mark o said:
Hi all Looking for advice
Just starting to collect pamp 1g gold bars
Recently purchased one and when I was checking the serial number with the outer packing which are the same
I noticed the serial number on the bar when looked at through a eye glass the numbers are drilled not stamped is this normal any advice would be greatly appreciated 51F3FAF3-FD14-4688-965D-03A33D1FC060.jpeg
Have attached a photo

If it were me, I'd check with the issuer, and ask them what anti-counterfeiting things you should be aware of. Ask them if there are identifying characteristics that you can learn, to help you spot counterfeits. Learning what those characteristics are will help you identify counterfeits before you buy them. Most issuers are extremely interested in trying to protect the reputation of their hallmark.

-- Thipdar

"Drilled"? You may mean laser etched. This would seem to be normal to me as each bar needs a unique number and stamping 1 gram bars by hand would be very tedious and time consuming.

Back