First attempt at silver refining

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent work. Very pleasant to watch your progress and results.

To the overheating issue, I just add one thing. Amperage = electrons make the silver crystals. Not the voltage. It is very easy to calculate the power consumption. Just multiply voltage with current - and you have the result. There is only certain voltage needed to free silver as silver cations, which will flow through the electrolyte and deposite on the cathode. All "excess voltage" will dissipate as heat.
We try to push the cell to the maximum working speed by forcing the voltage up, causing amps to also ramp up. This inevitably lead to the excessive power consumption, and you can clearly see it as rise in operation temperature of cell. It eventually stabilize at certain temperature - as heat is dissipated from the cell to the enviroment/room etc.

Because there is limited ammount of ions in solution, for shorter period of time we can see conductivity as constant. You can push more amps by ramping the voltage up, but this also cause unwanted overheating and also low current efficiency = bigger electricity bill :)
As you figured out, simplest way how to get better current density and efficiency is to enlarge the surface area of the electrodes. Sreetips goes with shot - and this obviously help to increase surface area. You can go with casting "plate-like" electrodes. Just don´t fill the mold to the top. Cast for example two 0,5kg bars instead of one 1 kg bar. And then stack these thinner plates bit "diagonally" in the basket, leaving spaces in between them.

Another option would be to cool down the setup somehow. Mount small electric fan to the side of the setup, or put the whole container to the bigger vessel with water - to enlarge heat dissipation surface.

Thanks Orvi, the casting .5kg bars is a good idea, i must confess i hadnt even thought about it. But it would definitely work really well in my setup.

Its funny that you mention the cooling setup, i was thinking of that very thing this weekend. Get a larger container and fill it with water to act as a heat sink.

This opens up interesting ideas and experiments. We know that increasing the temperature creates quick growth just not dense. I was thinking what would happen if you lower the temperature, to say 60 , 50, or 40, maybe 30 degrees. Wouldnt be that difficult with a small freezer, small radiator and a pump. Maybe you would get denser crystal or larger crystal. Im really wondering here, what do you think?

I do not have experience with lowering the temperature unfortunately. One factor is certainly viscosity of the electrolyte, which will go up as it will cool down. Sometimes, specialty polymers or oligomeric additives are used when creating dense, even copper deposits instead of crumbly texture of dendrites. It could help, but in electrochemistry... You cannot be certain with theory without testing it out in real life :)

If you get some bigger vessel with water, put the cell into it, and you will run fan over the water surface, it will cool the system more efficiently, as the water evaporation helps a lot. Importantly, cover the top of the cell to prevent unwanted evaporation of electrolyte with some plastic wrap or something. To prevent crystal growth on the edges of bowl and such.

Just wanted to update.

The cell has run for 18 days straight. I’ve harvested 3 times without breaking the cell down. About every 5 days.

So far including what’s in there now I have refined a little over 5 kilos. It’s running pretty well. As the copper concentration increased I got nicer crystals. I’ve learned what it likes as far as amperage goes.

The anode filter is already getting a little full of slimes. So I think I’m going to let it run till Sunday and then brake it down. And I’ll get full numbers of how well it produced.

Copper concentration is sitting at about 25 grams per liter. I have been adding to the electrolyte which started at 550 grams of silver in 4 liters and is sitting at 800 grams now.

I probably could get another 2 kilos through it. But Since im going to break it down this weekend I’m just going to swap the electrolyte and reset just to be safe.

Heres some pics.
9B4AA855-22B4-4F4D-ADA4-EB4AE6903164.jpeg

79E4FCDC-BF44-4283-9E98-1F4AEB940AB4.jpeg

55CC0D4D-E780-49DC-A93B-99FA81C329AD.jpeg

B8924F10-6FB4-4695-BDCC-4AA0333C4641.jpeg

02A1145D-D9CE-4BE9-B58F-45023106192E.jpeg

Ok everyone so its official i have shut down cell version 3.0. Not because of any issues more so because i ran out of feed stock.

It has functioned pretty flawlessly.

Some fun number.

The cell ran for 46 days or 1107 hrs. 24 hrs a day.

It averaged 13.06 grams per hour or 10.08 troy ounces per day ( double my previous capacity)

In total it produced 14,465 grams of crystal during this time.

This was divided into 2 runs, I broke the cell down around day 28 to change the anode filter material and modify my little basket. After the modification it functioned a little better and i was able to get some more amps into it. The electrolyte was also changed at this time. I was able to harvest during this time as i have shown between breaking the cell down. Every harvest was around 1.3-1.6 kilos of crystal with the last run being over 2 kilos because i let it run to conclusion.

I would start with 600 grams of crystal in 4 liters and ended up at around 900 grams in the electrolyte at the first change. The second shorter run started with 500 grams and 750 at conclusion.

During this i monitored copper concentration via standard dilutions of copper nitrate and given what i was observing versus cement silver recovered from the electrolyte my feed stock was around 98.2% pure which was inline with what i was seeing in the electrolyte.

I reached my stacking goal at 100 lbs of silver. Im actually at 101.4 lbs of the shiny stuff.

At this point I'm unsure where to go, i may start working on gold. I have never worked with gold. I have gotten pretty good at silver at this point.

I really want to take a second to thank everyone who has chimed in and helped me along the way!

Heres some pics for those that are interested.

Day 46 Break down

1.jpg

Modified filter basket, keeps the anode bars out of the slimes, makes things ten times cleaner

2.jpg

Shot of the crystal in the cell and after draining.

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Rinsing and cleaning

6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

Final weight of that run 2238.8 grams 7 days worth of growth.

9.jpg

And just for fun all of my refined silver, some i have poured into kilo bars, and some smaller bars. It saves room :)

10.jpg
11.jpg

Ok everyone so its official i have shut down cell version 3.0. Not because of any issues more so because i ran out of feed stock.

It has functioned pretty flawlessly.

Some fun number.

The cell ran for 46 days or 1107 hrs. 24 hrs a day.

It averaged 13.06 grams per hour or 10.08 troy ounces per day ( double my previous capacity)

In total it produced 14,465 grams of crystal during this time.

This was divided into 2 runs, I broke the cell down around day 28 to change the anode filter material and modify my little basket. After the modification it functioned a little better and i was able to get some more amps into it. The electrolyte was also changed at this time. I was able to harvest during this time as i have shown between breaking the cell down. Every harvest was around 1.3-1.6 kilos of crystal with the last run being over 2 kilos because i let it run to conclusion.

I would start with 600 grams of crystal in 4 liters and ended up at around 900 grams in the electrolyte at the first change. The second shorter run started with 500 grams and 750 at conclusion.

During this i monitored copper concentration via standard dilutions of copper nitrate and given what i was observing versus cement silver recovered from the electrolyte my feed stock was around 98.2% pure which was inline with what i was seeing in the electrolyte.

I reached my stacking goal at 100 lbs of silver. Im actually at 101.4 lbs of the shiny stuff.

At this point I'm unsure where to go, i may start working on gold. I have never worked with gold. I have gotten pretty good at silver at this point.

I really want to take a second to thank everyone who has chimed in and helped me along the way!

Heres some pics for those that are interested.

Day 46 Break down

View attachment 49686

Modified filter basket, keeps the anode bars out of the slimes, makes things ten times cleaner

View attachment 49687

Shot of the crystal in the cell and after draining.

View attachment 49688

View attachment 49689

View attachment 49690

Rinsing and cleaning

View attachment 49691
View attachment 49692
View attachment 49693

Final weight of that run 2238.8 grams 7 days worth of growth.

View attachment 49694

And just for fun all of my refined silver, some i have poured into kilo bars, and some smaller bars. It saves room :)

View attachment 49695
View attachment 49696
Beatiful result and very nice bars without oxygen sprouts!
There seem to be crystals in the big bowl that could sell as a single crystal.
Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

Back