First fume hood with scrubber

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4metals not so long ago posted a nice pic of little fume hood made from 55gallon plastic drum. I imagined something very similar could be made from 1m3 plastic vats for water storage or chemicals transport. On the top, there already is a discharge/charge hole of very nice diameter, ready to be used as vent out. They can be sourced relatively cheaply second-hand for several dozen bucks.

Drain plug on the bottom is ideal for cleaning after some accidental spill. Also, material is HDPE usually, as corrosion resistant as you can get :) 1,1x1,1x1 meter dimensions are I think very good for starter hood with two parallel electric stoves for heating. Some DIY shelves could be made into it by screwing the shelves to the walls - as PE plastic is quite thick. Also, you could retain that metal cage around it, just cut the front side out, and replace by dropping plexiglass shield, as in regular hoods. Whole construction could be done well under 100 USD (adjusted for my prices here), excluding fan.

1673903643630.png

The pallet tote idea is nice if you have room and need a bigger hood.
Here in AZ most of those l've seen have a 46"x48" base and up to 48" tall.
Typically they cost $100+
That's why I mentioned using an old dishwasher.
They also can be made into a sandblasting cabinet.
They're cheap (I got a couple for free) easy to find, lightweight yet durable and don't take up a lot of room.

Back