First Gold Ore Process

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkbinco

In it for the Money
Supporting Member
I have been reading and studying Hoke's book, as well as researching on the forum for a couple months. I am waiting on an assay, and have most everything I need to process some sulfide ore. I take the blame but Amazon sent me H2SO4 that is 1.m, and I am pretty sure good acid should be 18M to be 95% or so. Can I use this for anything cause I can't return it.

Ace hardware there in Co should have drain cleaner (professional strength drain cleaner or liquid fire) that's about 92% sulfuric acid, I believe I pay about $21 a gallon. It's not the cleanest stuff, but for refine metals it works just fine.

As far as the stuff you bought, you can evaporate off the water to concentrated it... caution...Hot sulfuric isn't at all forgiving, the hotter you get it, the bigger of monster it becomes.

Ace hardware there in Co should have drain cleaner (professional strength drain cleaner or liquid fire) that's about 92% sulfuric acid, I believe I pay about $21 a gallon. It's not the cleanest stuff, but for refine metals it works just fine.

As far as the stuff you bought, you can evaporate off the water to concentrated it... caution...Hot sulfuric isn't at all forgiving, the hotter you get it, the bigger of monster it becomes.
Important thing to note about Rooto sulfuric acid drain cleaner is that you need to heat it a bit to really get reactions going. It has some organic inhibitors in it to slow its reactivity to metals. Those will break down upon heating.

Any processing of the sulfidic ore start with preparation of concentrates. By tabling, sluicing, panning, flotation... You need to start as concentrated as you can get with acceptable loss of values. More diluted material = more energy, fluxes etc. you will need for efficient smelt.

I wont start with hydrometallurgic processing of the ore. I will stick to the roasting and smelting to obtain metallic fraction with all values, which will be then processed with acids. Or oxidizing flux will do the trick.

Copy what big guys are doing.

It is also possible to use Sodium thiosulfate|Ammonium composition (0.3M/0.2M per liter, pH 9-11) as the first step without ore roasting. Thiosulfate because of its partial thermal decomposition to sulfite (SO32−), sulfate (SO42−), and tetrathionate (S4O62−) recombine Fe2S structure and practically releases access to the golden particles in the pyrite matrix for the cyanide or acidic solvent. All silver will be also removed from the gold particles. We have had a successful experience with our sulfide ore concentrate of 800 g/ton. Thiosulfate solution mixed with ore should be heated to 80C for 8 hours. It won't work for arseno- or chalco-pyrite.

Last edited:
Have you considered roasting the ore first?
I have a 200,000 BTU camp stove and plan to roast is cast iron skillet, Info I have is boil approx 2 hr. 600 degree C. (respirator) HA!
You could use the weak H2SO4 together with NaNO3 to make poor mans nitric.
I have a small supply of HNO3, I am learning all I can, thanks for that.
It is also possible to use Sodium thiosulfate|Ammonium composition (0.3M/0.2M per liter, pH 9-11) as the first step without ore roasting. Thiosulfate because of its partial thermal decomposition to sulfite (SO32−), sulfate (SO42−), and tetrathionate (S4O62−) recombine Fe2S structure and practically releases access to the golden particles in the pyrite matrix for the cyanide or acidic solvent. All silver will be also removed from the gold particles. We have had a successful experience with our sulfide ore concentrate of 800 g/ton. Thiosulfate solution mixed with ore should be heated to 80C for 8 hours. It won't work for arseno- or chalco-pyrite.
Ha! you are makeing me work now, thank you, what did catch my eye is the pyrite because I recently found some samples that are chaucked full of it. I am planning on dolly pot, roast, and AR, and H3NSO3. what do you think?
Any processing of the sulfidic ore start with preparation of concentrates. By tabling, sluicing, panning, flotation... You need to start as concentrated as you can get with acceptable loss of values. More diluted material = more energy, fluxes etc. you will need for efficient smelt.

I wont start with hydrometallurgic processing of the ore. I will stick to the roasting and smelting to obtain metallic fraction with all values, which will be then processed with acids. Or oxidizing flux will do the trick.

Copy what big guys are doing.
Yes sir, thank you I was thinking about maybe a bath to maybe if removeing some iron a little bit before, but I will keep stuff in stock for future.

Attachments

• IMG_20220715_11331469railroad ore0.jpg
    IMG_20220715_11331469railroad ore0.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Back