Fiskar's soil knife for the budget detectorist

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just thought I'd share this for some of the members that are on a bit of a budget and who also need a digger and don't want to wait for delivery and need to dig now. I picked up this fiskar's soil knife for 12$ Canadian and actually quite like it. It has a thinner blade than other diggers but still substantial on the material. I've already cut probably 2 dozen plugs and it does a great job. It's not a pry bar for sure but if you work with it, it does a great job and cuts very neat plugs. Plus it's readily available at local hardware stores. For the price I think it's a great little plug cutter. Heck I'm picking up another as a spare just because. I am going to add some tack welds to the joint at the hilt for added strength but that's probably it. Anyway, hope this helps someone:)
ab4c5ea5cd1e80ee9201e5464e2f6526.jpg
43bba97586133b8da35ae62b85b38570.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from your iphone? More like, sent from my TRUCK. Now that's one serious metal detecting truck. PB? KW?

This item is likely good for cutting plugs in soft soil. I would expect it to dull quickly in rocky soils or heavy sands. Good for coin recovery in the local park or tot lot.

Fiskars is a good brand. Most of my shop scissors are Fiskars. My wife has several garden tools from Fiskars and may very well have one or two of these.

Mods: If this thread is better situated elsewhere on the forum, please move accordingly.

Where would it be better suited? It is metal detecting related, not gardening. The purpose was to help someone that possibly couldn't afford a higher end digger. If the purpose of metal detecting is to only use the best possible, what's the purpose? At least you're out doing it getting air in your lungs and having fun. I'm out with my 9 year old all the time and have a great time. We don't need top of the line over priced everything to do that. :)

Smack said:
Sent from your iphone? More like, sent from my TRUCK. Now that's one serious metal detecting truck. PB? KW?
Yup, my detector goes everywhere with me, if I have a spare hr or 2 and there's a field close by, I'll be in it :)

Thanks ZS. I just recently got into the hobby and might pickup one of these before the weather gets cool enough to explore the Moonscape here in Arizona. The soil/clay might be too rocky out in the desert, but seems like a good tool for learning around the playgrounds etc. Thanks for the tip

scrappappy said:
Thanks ZS. I just recently got into the hobby and might pickup one of these before the weather gets cool enough to explore the Moonscape here in Arizona. The soil/clay might be too rocky out in the desert, but seems like a good tool for learning around the playgrounds etc. Thanks for the tip
More than welcome :) yeah, I've been using it straight for 3 days now and it does the job at least. I'm quite happy with it and can't beat the price. Probably in the 8-9$ range in the US and they have a lifetime warranty! Good luck hunting, cheers :)

Back