General question about selling gold in Ghana from private land

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chillipurple

I am a Brit based in the UK running an NGO in Ghana. My friends in Kumasi have the good fortune of owning land upon which they have found a store of gold, some smelted and lots as per the images. This was found when the dad was digging a well on their property. They also found pottery which contains gold dust.

I know nothing about gold other than any minerals found on private property remain the property of the government. Reading up I see there are informal gold traders - does anyone have any ideas please? Obviously a very poor family and although I have not seen this in person yet, I am there with them in July and want to get the best deal for them.

Appreciate that most will dismiss this as Ghana spam (thank god they don't live in Nigeria) but thanks to anyone who can help me, please.

PHOTO-2022-06-12-07-13-40.jpg

PHOTO-2022-06-12-07-08-58.jpg

PHOTO-2022-06-12-07-09-51.jpg
PHOTO-2022-06-12-07-13-29.jpg

Attachments

• PHOTO-2022-06-12-07-13-40.jpg
    PHOTO-2022-06-12-07-13-40.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 0
It is illegal in most countries to buy conflict minerals. It is not just the country of origin but the destination country. A person in the US or EU can face some serious prison time for buying conflict minerals from certain African nations and I'm pretty sure that includes Ghana.
The link I provide tells you what you need to do to legally export gold from Ghana.
https://www.mondaq.com/Energy-and-N...,the Minerals and Mining Act, 2006 (Act 703).

It is illegal in most countries to buy conflict minerals. It is not just the country of origin but the destination country. A person in the US or EU can face some serious prison time for buying conflict minerals from certain African nations and I'm pretty sure that includes Ghana.
The link I provide tells you what you need to do to legally export gold from Ghana.
https://www.mondaq.com/Energy-and-N...,the Minerals and Mining Act, 2006 (Act 703).
Thanks - being Ghana there is a significant and open level of private trading, albeit "illegal", that goes on so I was wondering if anyone here has some Ghana knowledge I could tap into

Correct! This being Ghana, people use local gold agents to sell to. When you live on $5 USD a week with 5 kids you'll understand they want to maximise their assets
I think most of us understand that, and are sympathetic to their situation. But few want to open themselves to the many potential risks.

We had a member here several years ago in a similar situation. I exchanged a number of private messages with him, discussing how we might work together to help the miners he represented. At the time, I was familiar with "blood diamonds", having spent many years in the jewelry business. But as we worked on his problem, I became more aware of "conflict gold", and the dangers to a buyer of receiving it from the countries involved. In the end, we had to abandon our efforts because it was too dangerous for all of us.

Dave

I think most of us understand that, and are sympathetic to their situation. But few want to open themselves to the many potential risks.

We had a member here several years ago in a similar situation. I exchanged a number of private messages with him, discussing how we might work together to help the miners he represented. At the time, I was familiar with "blood diamonds", having spent many years in the jewelry business. But as we worked on his problem, I became more aware of "conflict gold", and the dangers to a buyer of receiving it from the countries involved. In the end, we had to abandon our efforts because it was too dangerous for all of us.

Dave
Thank you for your experience. I think they will end up selling it all to a local middle man which is a shame. Thanks you

Back