Getting Nitric Acid

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn!!!!!!...yesterday I was complaining about raw materials prices here in Mexico,let us take a look:

Nitric acid 68 % Industrial grade 0.50 USD/lt
Sulfuric acid 98 % Industrial grade 0.40 USD/lt
Hydrochloric acid 36% Industrial grade 0.25 USD/lt
Oxalic acid 2.10 USD/kg
Sodium hydroxide 0.89 USD/kg
Sodium Cyanide (Degussa) 4.14 USD/kg (You must say what you want it for)
Potassium Cyanide (Bayer) 5.20 USD/kg
Sodium hypochlorite(17%) 0.25 USD/lt
Ferric chloride (70 Be) 0.50 USD/lt
Copper sulfate 3.10 USD/kg

All available,not license required,not questions (except for NaCN),not credit just cash,FOB on the seller´s place so you have got to carry your own,if you buy 220 USD or more they send the material to your lab.

Many of these material are " Made in USA",why are so expensive in USA??????

I think I should stop my complain.

Best regards.

Manuel

Hi LeftyTheBandit
Thanks for the helpful tips

Here in the video the guy uses copper to make the nitric acid is that good
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=5202

I remember seeing this before now I cant find it and the search box doesn't show it
Ill eventually get it
poormans nitric acid

Juan,

Bulk prices in the US, now, are not much different than the ones you gave. I'm talking about 55 gallon drums of nitric, 200# drums of sodium cyanide, etc. It seems that, after 911, the prices for smaller quantities went sky high, along with the BS Hazmat shipping charges. A guy I talked to a couple of days ago remembers when you could buy small amounts of concentrated nitric in a drug store.

goldsilverpro said:
A guy I talked to a couple of days ago remembers when you could buy small amounts of concentrated nitric in a drug store.

That was probably before hemorrhoid cream was invented.
Check out this book;
http://www.archive.org/details/hemorrhoidsandp00smitgoog

golddie said:
Hi LeftyTheBandit
Thanks for the helpful tips

Here in the video the guy uses copper to make the nitric acid is that good
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=5202

I remember seeing this before now I cant find it and the search box doesn't show it
Ill eventually get it
poormans nitric acid

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=5209&start=0&hilit=cold+nitric

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=4791&start=0&hilit=cold+nitric
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=2066&start=0&hilit=cold+nitric
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2454&start=0
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=5560&start=20

Juan Manuel Arcos Frank said:
Cooper sulfate (Coperas) 3.10 USD/kg
Just a minor correction, so newbies don't get the wrong impression.

Copper sulfate is NOT copperas. Copperas, often used to precipitate gold, is ferrous sulfate. (I'll never understand why it was named copperas.)

You have it real good in Mexico, Manuel. I haven't seen nitric acid for the prices I used to pay ever since I've been on this forum. I used to pay $207 for a 55 gallon drum of tech grade----and had my own stainless drum, so it was a simple exchange.

<sigh>

Harold

That is an exceedingly important clarification Harold, and far from minor IMHO. Newbies in particular should pay attention to this.

I too had confusion in reading old texts when they referred to copperas. I have never heard a good explanation of why it came to be called such as it surely implies copper is involved when it is not.

I have made my own copperas with transformer laminates (due to low carbon content) with sulfuric acid (battery acid concentration) for precipitating gold in unique circumstances.

I must say that I do not like using it as a precipitate for gold in general, since the precipitate is very fine and difficult to deal with. However I have found that it can be useful at times for very dirty solutions at times, so it stays in my tool box.

Butcher seems to use it rather often based on his posts, and if one wished practical knowledge on its use I would use him as your go to guy. Part of the reason I say this is that he tends to be very clear as to what he knows based on actual use and experience vs what he has read.

That line is fuzzy with many others.

GSP,My Dear Friend:

Chemical products companies are very ungrateful,they want to make money fast and easy just selling to the big consumers forgetting low scale consumers.To all chemicals companies all over arround the world I have got a message: Go to hell !!!!!!!!!!!!

Members of the Forum can be organizated to creat "buying teams" to reach the big scale that chemical companies need,this is exactly the way I started my bussiness.

We have the alternative to produce our own chemicals products,every member of this Forum knows how to make nitric acid with sodium nitrate and sulfuric acid,no one Government can control selling fertilizers,sulfuric acid or hydrochloric acid,in fact we can produce all what we need.

I propose that we all contribute with our knowledge and experience to post the methods to produce all what we need leaving Governments and chemical products companies in hell until it gets frozzen.

Kindest regards

Your friend:

Manuel

Juan you little ticked off by those that charge too much or try to control, the use of common chemicals :?:

what strike's me funny, is that to claim that banning these chemicals, would stop terrorism, that would be like trying to keep knive's or shanks out of prisons, and seems to me to be profitable for somebody, and why all of a sudden is chemistry such a bad thing?
seems also many company's may push this, for profit, if I sell table salt as my product at high profit maybe color it , I may give it another name, and not want people to know they can just use just plain old cheap salt.

GO GET EM JUAN :!:

OK,Butcher..let us go for them.

Here is a list of common chemicals ( I do not remeber where I found it).

Soon I will post the process for making potassium nitrate,the main component of black powder,we use potassium nitrate as a reducer flux for gold and silver.In some coutries you can find it in garden stores,some other countries (like Mexico) have banned it and you need a special permission to buy it.

Butcher,it is a pleasure talking with you.

Best regards.

Manuel

sulfuric could be made from pyrite ore, if we lived in cave, also found around volcanic active areas, also the flues of our boiler's will have sulfur, from burning oil, where gases react with damp flue, should be able to extract sulfur from coal aslo,but for now sulfuric and sulfur are so common industrially, and with emmisions controls, they probably have a hard time getting rid of all of it theey produce industrially as a byproduct...

Well if we are going into the dark ages, I have had a hard time finding good blacksmithing coal w/o sulfur for forge work as it is injurious to the iron. It would not be hard to remove with steam then resell if the demand was there giving you a higher value coal.

Sulfur isn't desirable for model steam loco's, either. It has become difficult to obtain good quality coal. Utah has a large coal reserve, but it's not known for being very low in sulfur. However, coal is shipped to power plants for steam generation on a large basis, anyway. It apparently is low enough to not be a hindrance.

Talking about production of sulfuric acid----back to Utah---Kennecott Copper used to discharge their gases at the north end of the Oquirrh mountain range from a huge stack, which stood on a shelf of the mountain. The gasses were discharged several hundred feet up (more than 500'), but the constant barrage had largely killed all plant life on the mountain range for several miles going south. This mountain range is on the south end of the Great Salt Lake. In the mid 50's, the government clamped down on Kennecott, forcing them to start removing the SO2 from the discharge. A sulfuric acid plant was installed, which now ships railroad car loads of sulfuric acid on a regular basis. In the end, it was yet another money making proposition for Kennecott.

Harold

Well now, is that not a bit ironic? They were forced to spend more money cleaning up their emissions and they found there was profit to be had by reclaiming wastes.

There is a lesson in that for refiners.

I see that butcher has gone the manure route the same as I have in the past to make black powder. Can you float a raw chicken egg?

Sometimes old tech does not get old.

Platdigger:

Not at all...Sulphuric acid is available everywhere (the reason:Governments need cars,cars need sulphuric acid),concentrated in some countries,diluted in others.Anyway,we can get it or boiling it to concentrate so this acid will be the raw material for making nitric and hydrochloric acids.Sulphur is baned in Mexico,but this is stupid because you can get all sulphur you want just going to any active volcano.Gas sweetening in petroleum industry provides mountains of sulphur but making your own sulphuric acid is a hard task.

Well,we are able to make the most common acid used in our bussines but we need to learn how to make some other products,i.e. sodium hydroxide,sodium carbonate,sodium chlorate and ammonium chloride. Any idea?

Platdigger,nice to meet you.

Best regards.

Manuel

Back