Getting Nitric Acid

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Butcher....Do you like fire?...make your own explotions?????...let it be....potassium nitrate (75%),sulphur (15%) and coal (10%) is the Chinese original formula for black powder.Particularly I do not like this formula because it takes a lot to explode,I prefer potassium chlorate instead of potassium nitrate.This is the reason why this products are baned in Mexico.

Kindest regards.

Manuel

Have made my own black powder for my blackpowder guns, have never used potassium chlorate, and if using in black powder guns how violent the reaction is can make a big difference also, too violent could blow the barrel into your face. how would it corrode my gun?
the charcoal can be a big portion of how it works, softwood like willow homade charcoal, is better than other charcoals. there is an old recipee we used to call gramdma's sugar powder, it used sugar, it would work for hunting squirls when I was a kid, can't remember the details though, I cannot believe that you cannot get a common chemical that can be made from your toilet in your country, what nonsense, but then again you can buy nitric acid cheaper than we can??

butcher said:
Have made my own black powder for my blackpowder guns, have never used potassium chlorate, and if using in black powder guns how violent the reaction is can make a big difference also, too violent could blow the barrel into your face. how would it corrode my gun?
the charcoal can be a big portion of how it works, softwood like willow homade charcoal, is better than other charcoals. there is an old recipee we used to call gramdma's sugar powder, it used sugar, it would work for hunting squirls when I was a kid, can't remember the details though, I cannot believe that you cannot get a common chemical that can be made from your toilet in your country, what nonsense, but then again you can buy nitric acid cheaper than we can??

I used to make Black Powder as well. I have 3 Muzzle Loaders. Chlorate powder is terribly corrosive. It's ok for fireworks but I would never use it in a fine rifle.
Aspen or Poplar burn quite cleanly. Nothing beats Potassium Nitrate to make fine Black Powder. If you can, get the low acid Sulfur powder.

butcher said:
Irons one of my small caliber black powder is really fun. pull the trigger hear the pop and flash, then wait, to hear the bullet hit your target.

One of these days, I'm going to take one of the 8X57 Mauser barrels that I have and make a squirrel gun. 00 Buck is .330 and squeezes down nicely to .323. I shoot them in my Mauser as a small game load and they are very accurate. They make about as much noise as a .22 Short but have a lot more energy.

butcher said:

Butcher you and Irons don't live dangerous enough. When I was in Panama, Canal Zone before 1980 I made black powder out of charcoal,sulpur, sugar & salt peter. Use to take it and make pipe bombs. It's like Juan says anything was available that you wanted down there.

heh... When I was young we did not need any chemistry to make a big bang. There was russian army unit stationed in nearby city since 1968 and boy those lads were selling everything they had in their armoury store for next to nothing. Specially when they realized that they will be pulled back home.

butcher said:
I had enough danger in my life, don't need anymore.

the electrolytic cell does sound facinating.

That was in my younger and dumber days. :)

Yea the idea of a cell has been intriguing me as well. I'v been thinking of some items it might be good for. I might even be able to do one without screwing it up and having to ask for help. :twisted:

Ok nitric acid seems to be the most talked about topic ever. And many people seem to be having trouble making it so... This weekend if the weather permits I'm going to attempt to make a video showing how to make nitric using lazersteves 50% recipe. I have done this many times now and it works great. I make my nitric in bigger batches and after all is said and done my nitric fumes. Hopefully I will address some of the issues people are having. I will let you all know when its up.

goldenchild said:
Ok nitric acid seems to be the most talked about topic ever. And many people seem to be having trouble making it so... This weekend if the weather permits I'm going to attempt to make a video showing how to make nitric using lazersteves 50% recipe. I have done this many times now and it works great. I make my nitric in bigger batches and after all is said and done my nitric fumes. Hopefully I will address some of the issues people are having. I will let you all know when its up.

I would appreciate seeing that.

Thanks !!!!!

Rhodium said:
goldenchild said:

I would appreciate seeing that.

Thanks !!!!!

Ok the video is up. The name of the topic is "goldenchild's nitric acid video" under the tutorials/questions section.

goldsilverpro said:
The company is Terrace Packaging, 2819 SW Blvd, Kansas City, MO - 816-561-5377. The owner's name is Sandy. He also sells HCl, H2SO4, NaCN, 35% H2O2, etc., etc. All the good stuff. He will sell just about any quantity, small or large. The smaller the quantity, of course, the higher the per pound, or per gallon price.

I can live with these prices. They're reasonable. I would bet that, in every fair sized city, there is a company, like Sandy's, that repackages chemicals for a fair price.

Chris,
Thanks for pointing me to Sandy. Prices are great shipping is terrible :cry: I wish I lived close enough to drive. I tried to find one in the Miami, Fort Lauderdale or Tampa area with no success.

Thanks again,
Tom

When I was looking, I found that some of the salesmen working for the large chemical chemical companies, such as Univar, knew the names of small re-packaging companies. Although these big guys only sell in large quantities, their customers often need only small amounts of certain chemicals and the salesmen refer them to these small re-packagers.

Technical purity nitric is like 18 cents/pound in my country. Minimal quantity is 5l (like 1,25US gallons). Analitycal reagent grade is much more expensive 6$ a liter, 25$/US gallon. Actually, all acids like muriatic and sulphuric are cheap- It would be good to find someone trusty who can buy stuff for you instead of spending days on distillation or others processes. In EU buying chemicals can be easy as pie- just look well for proper person.

I can buy it in town 30 miles from me in very small bottles $15.00 for about 125ML (4 ounces), I can order for about $55.00 gallon plus over $150 dollar shiping, thats $200.00 gallon, or drive 250 miles and 250 miles back to get that gallon jug.

distilling for me is an option I use, I don't find it that much trouble, the price to make my own dhemicals can mean whether I can make a profit when refining gold, or at least not loose money on it. can make up a batch in one evening, there are many of us who cost or avalability, makes distilling worth it, using cheaper products bought locally to make expensive or unavailable chemicals.

250 miles :lol: . Seems reasonable- for me- that's the distance I made to get nitric, in my country where gas is much higher than 3$/gallon, roads horrible, and average month wage is like $1K(gross). Just got lot of stuff which make the trip reasonable- free iodine, iodides, borohydride and so on. The only nitric I would distil is 100%- for special purposes. Facility that makes like 100 tons of it a day is located just 40miles from my home, but they can sell you rail tank like 50tons not less. I remember buying my very first chemicals- very expensive, like sulphur 5$/75g (like 2,5 oz). Dollars were then much more valuable, so it was like 6-7 working hours for average person to get these money. Now, in the era of Internet, S is like 1,75$/1kg, and dollars much less worthy.

golddie said:
Hi Folks thanks for your help

Hi P3M I tried to send you a private message but I couldn't
If you can give me name that would be nice.

I found this company
http://www.prolabscientific.com/Hydrochloric-Acid-Reagent-Grade-37-~12M-p-21933.html
in Canada
The price for Nitric seems good
Can someone tell me if what they have here is 70% nitric acid
I cant really tell

Nitric Acid, Reagent ACS Solution, (~15.8M)
500ml bottle $ 35.10
2.5L bottle (3.2kg) $ 56.95

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
About the Hydrochloric Acid
The botom one is alot cheaper
Can I use this to make Aqua Regia
Would the 4 to 1 portion of Hydrochloric Acid and Nitric acid change.

Hydrochloric Acid, Reagent Grade, 37% (~12M) 500ml bottle $ 21.50
2.5 L bottle $ 40.80
2.5 L bottle (case of 4) $ 145.00
----------
Hydrochloric Acid, Solutions
Laboratory, Solution, 0.1M (0.1M=0.1N)
0.1N, 1L bottle $ 8.50
0.1N, 3.8L bottle $ 28.20
1.0N, 1L bottle $ 12.20
1.0N, 3.8L bottle $ 36.20
Hydrochloric Acid, Solutions
Laboratory, Solution, 0.1M (0.1M=0.1N)

This Morality and Normality subject is here again.
I am still unclear about that
Anyway I will eventually get it

Nitric Acid
From the web site
Reagent ACS Solution, (~15.8M)

RESTRICTED COMPONENTS REGULATIONS OF THE EXPLOSIVES ACT
Prolab Scientific is registered with the Explosives Regulatory Division of Natural Resources Canada (NRCan).
This chemical is available only to canadian schools and industries.
It is no longer available to private individuals.

Back