Getting started, saying hi

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shagohod7

Hello everyone,
I am from France. Have been looking into gold recovery and refining for a few months now and i'm getting started with it. I have started stacking scrap electronics, and looking for value eBay auctions (i'll be sharing something early next week, I think it was a good grab).
I'm nowhere near recovering and refining yet, taking my time with it, just gathering material for now. As a side not I am well aware of Hoke's book (knew about it before joining here) and read bits when I have some free time, I've seen the link to the guided tour and also well aware of chemicals handling and dangers (I do have a PhD in chemistry, I've heard about safety for a long time haha). Not letting it get to me though, I am after alll a novice in this hobby and I am looking forward to learning from people's experiences here.
Little question though, is there active people from France here? I have a lot of things to ask in terms of getting my hands on chemicals. If i could be pointed their way it would be very helpful.
See you people around :D

Welcome to the forum. Glad that you are taking some time to study. I believe there is a few members from France on the forum. How long have you lived in France?

jarlowski1 said:
Welcome to the forum. Glad that you are taking some time to study. I believe there is a few members from France on the forum. How long have you lived in France?

Thank you, and that's good to hear haha, hopefully some will see this message or some names will pop up. And to answer you I was born here in France, so my whole life :)

Just curious then if you were born there and have a Phd in chemistry why wouldn't you know where to get chemicals? I'm not trying to be rude but most chemist would know where to get chemicals. Anyway, I would like to visit France one day it certainly is on my list of places to see.

jarlowski1 said:
Just curious then if you were born there and have a Phd in chemistry why wouldn't you know where to get chemicals? I'm not trying to be rude but most chemist would know where to get chemicals. Anyway, I would like to visit France one day it certainly is on my list of places to see.

No offense taken it's not rude. It's just that i haven't specified for what chemicals i'd need guidance. Of course some are readily available and I have no issues on that front. I might have a degree, it helps when it comes to handling and what not, as in I don't need training on how to use concentrated acids for example, but outside of that I'm just another guy when it comes to finding some suppliers, I don't have a network for that. Hope that answers your question.

Many times we can use common household chemicals, some reagents we can make from these also...
some places to look are your local hardware stores, grocery stores, pool and spa suppliers, farm and feed, or fertilizer suppliers...
Educating yourself on the processes and methods used in recovery and refining you will also learn much about what chemicals we use, and where we find our chemicals, or struggle to source economically, or make ourselves...

butcher said:
Many times we can use common household chemicals, some reagents we can make from these also...
some places to look are your local hardware stores, grocery stores, pool and spa suppliers, farm and feed, or fertilizer suppliers...
Educating yourself on the processes and methods used in recovery and refining you will also learn much about what chemicals we use, and where we find our chemicals, or struggle to source economically, or make ourselves...

For sure I will look around and read about it, thank you for the reply :)

Back