Give me a problem to solve...

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bengie84 said:
I believe I figured out my issue the glass Pyrex jug is my problem as the walls aren’t vertical but a gradual decline making the gold dust stick to the sides

So what would be my best approach now??
Thanks in advance to all you yodas of refining

You just answered that yourself didn't you.

My best answer would be to use a good beaker.

To drop the dust that is hung on the side of your pyrex, give it a gentle stir, this will allow it to settle out although it will take more time as some will keep hanging up on the sides. This also is assuming that your glassware is clean, dirty glass will cause some gold to adhere to the sides as well.

anachronism You just answered that yourself didn't you. [/quote said:
Well after lots of reading and re-reading I keep picking up on the little things that matter so next step a nice set of borosilicate beakers thanks guys

I have a crushed ore sample. How can I best get rid of the iron without using a nitric acid boil?
Thank you Caleb

What else is in the ore? What does an assay tell you?

The reason I ask is that it would be irresponsible to tell you to throw this acid or that acid on it without knowing what other hazardous metals might be in the ore.

Dave

Would like feedback on the following, in case I've missed something. I have a large quantity of prill containing the lead from the litharge. Gold, silver, and PGMs. Compelling off the lead is taking too long and them to metals still need to be refined and searated.

What I am wondering is if I could take the prill and add warm nitric to it to dissolve the lead, silver, and palladium leaving the gold and platinum behind as solids.

Using copper to drop out the silver an palladium.

Using AR to dissolve the gold and platinum and then dropping with NH4Cl and either S2O or SMB .

Have I missed any steps that would inhibit recovery?

dissolved gold in hcl and beach, precipitated it out with smb, redissolved the gold in hcl and bleach after boiling in hcl water ammonia water. Now have crystals floating in solution. the solution is yellow and the crystals test positive for gold with stannous solution. warmed solution and still have the salts...any ideas?

Stannous is for testing solutions, not solids. The positive tests are likely from the gold solution itself. The crystals could be many things depending on what you processed and how.

If it's just some crystals floating in the pregnant solution
and a little water doesn't dissolve them, then filter well until the solution is crystal clear. Drop the gold, and save the filter to process later to recover the traces of gold when you have enough filters saved up to warrant processing.

Well I boiled the solution for a while and the gold dropped out. Must have been some form of auric chloride, maybe some of the ammonia was left over and made a auric ammonia chloride complex?
Anyway, the gold dropped out :lol:
The salts changed to the :G

Pastor David said:
Well I boiled the solution for a while and the gold dropped out. Must have been some form of auric chloride, maybe some of the ammonia was left over and made a auric ammonia chloride complex?
Anyway, the gold dropped out :lol:
The salts changed to the :G

I'm genuinely unsure of what you are talking about here.

Acid + base = salts
HCl an acid adding NaClO Bleach a base solution (which also contains NaOH sodium hydroxide) alone produces sodium chloride salts, chlorine gas and water.
2HCl + NaClO = NaCl + Cl2 + H2O

You've already posted a thread about this and I'm helping you there, so let's not have this in two threads. 8) 8)

Back