Glassware (beakers) supplier I stumbled on

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4metals

Staff member
Supporting Member
I went looking for a photo of a speed funnel and found this website, the prices are very attractive.

check these out beakers.

note, I have absolutely no affiliation with this company but I just spent $140 for 1, 4 liter beaker from an American supplier and these prices floored me. So I posted their link here.

$32 for a 4lt beaker. That's not bad, but i would have to question it's durability. Buy one at a time and check it out is the only way to know for sure. I have bought some off brands or generics before and had them work excellent. Then i have had some that were just cheap. The last 4lt beaker i bought was a couple of years ago and was about $100 average. You want to have piece of mind when it comes to a 4lt beaker breaking. It's worth a $100 just not to have to clean that shit up! I call the 4lt the "Ben Franklin's"! It physically hurts when you crack or break them! :oops:

Last edited:
The prices they have for the beakers are low. Absolutely worth trying 1 just to see how sturdy they are. If anyone gets one it is worth reporting back as to quality and durability.

The speed funnels are dirt cheap and hard to find. The biggest glass funnel is great for fill it and walk away filtration without suction. I’ve used that exact type funnel for almost 40 years now. And until I stumbled on this site I thought they were off the market!

The ONLY way I've ever broke a borosilicate beaker is by having a watch glass or some sort of packing in it and evaporating until a drop on the watch glass fell and hit the bare glass on the bottom.

And I've broken a lot of beakers that way.

Really need to buy a rotovap.

This speed funnel is 40 years old. They are low tech and you don't have to babysit them. And, aside from dropping them (they are glass after all) they are pretty resilient. It should have a place in all size refineries because when you need it, you need it!
Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 10.30.16 AM.png

If i remember right i have broken only 2 - 4lt beakers. One was while it was empty and the other was a crack from a hard boil. Most glassware i find that gets broke, at least for me, comes from not handling it properly.

My experience is the same. I break 2L beakers all the time, but it's always stupid stuff.

Most of my 500 mL beakers end up getting used as mini pyrolization chambers. Then I get sick of them sitting on my bench covered in oily soot and i throw them out. Rinse and repeat.

Also factor in the weight with wet gloves for lifting and pouring. 4 liters, or 5 as it is now commonly available is my "beaker limit". For that reason alone I have often moved up to 10 and 20 liter round bottom wide neck flasks for larger lots as they are easier to grip and pour (by grabbing the neck) I'm quite honestly afraid of breaking a 10 or 20 liter beaker because it can easily slip.

My biggest are 4L beakers. While I got them at a decent price, ($45 each) I am still very leery of breaking them. I seldom use them as well. 1.5L and 2L are my most used along with 1L. Seldom ever break a 1L, but two and three don't last long. I am always banging them on something.

TnLab Is where I get most of mine, but I do a walk in and save shipping.

I am a strictly hands on guy. Kevin uses beaker tongs in his video's and every time i see him pick them up i cringe! 2000 ml is my work horse around the shop. I use cotton jersey gloves when they are hot. The worn out gloves go into the filter papers after use. I use the 2/3 rule and that's why i have the bigger 4lt beakers. As solution size increases so do the parameters.

The 10 liter erlenmeyer filtration flask from TriLab is a nice size. These 2.5 gallon flasks are popular to avoid the weight (and risk of dropping) a 5 gallon filter flask. But the 10 liter would be easier to pour.
8CDED682-CAAD-43E5-97DE-69A65E5B6A1B.JPG

That's one big bong there! 🤣
I've used 5 gal glass carboys for filtering off solutions before. It's like trying to hold on to a greased pig. A heavy greased pig!

Yeah, I won't go past four liters unless I've got a drain out the bottom or a mechanical tipper.

I'd love to be able to do 5 gallons at a time, but it's too hard.

What I really want is a flange for the 14" PVC I have. Then I can get a piece of 1" plexiglass and drill a hole in the center for my funnel and basically have a giant PVC vacuum reciever that I can set a five gallon bucket right in.

Back