Gold filled silver/other materials

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recently Sreetips put out Video "Inquarting With GOLD FILLED Instead of Silver" My questions are:
1 Would it be helpful to boil in HCL to remove the possible zinc, tin and lead that may be present? 1.1 Would this HCL boil create AgCl?
My limited understanding tells me Cu, Ag, Au are insoluble in HCL alone, I do understand that Cu will react with the HLC once O is added.
So the real # 2 question is will the Silver react with the HCL with O present?

Why are you assuming that the gold filled material contains silver?

Silver is soluble in HCl, but it forms a passivating layer that must be scraped off if you insist on using that method.

Nitric acid is far better for the initial treatment. It removes pretty much everything that HCl can and forms soluble nitrates rather than insoluble chlorides.

Silver can be found in some gold filled material as an alloying metal with the gold.

Silver is soluble in HCl, but it forms a passivating layer that must be scraped off if you insist on using that method.
I have to disagree. Silver is not soluble in HCl. It is sparingly soluble in AR, and in that case it can form a crust of silver chloride.

Dave

What Sreetips showed me was; using Gold filled works for inquarting, but is a very dirty inquart. Don't look at the Silver, or any other PM's contained, just getting the Au to 6K, with a variety of metals, then dissolving the greater portion of alloy, to purify the Au. Amazing to have the patience to clean it up. Very good video, thanks who ever you are in person.

Nitric acid is far better for the initial treatment. It removes pretty much everything that HCl can and forms soluble nitrates rather than insoluble chlorides.
Sorry, not assuming it all has Silver. However have found small amount that does have silver. My thoughts where to remove lead, tin and zinc with HCL ... Then moving to nitric to remove silver and other base medals, however if silver will be lost to AgCl (well not lost) that road is not 1 I want to travel

Last edited:
What Sreetips showed me was; using Gold filled works for inquarting, but is a very dirty inquart. Don't look at the Silver, or any other PM's contained, just getting the Au to 6K, with a variety of metals, then dissolving the greater portion of alloy, to purify the Au. Amazing to have the patience to clean it up. Very good video, thanks who ever you are in person.
Yes it did work. My point was could he have gotten rid of the tin, lead, and zinc before going to the nitric boils?

Good question, I think the minor amounts of these metals in the alloy, would be shielded by the greater quantity of the Copper and Gold. This in turn would not allow for proper acid digestion. It would probably work if it was a higher percentage of those metals only, without any Copper.

Silver can be found in some gold filled material as an alloying metal with the gold.

I have to disagree. Silver is not soluble in HCl. It is sparingly soluble in AR, and in that case it can form a crust of silver chloride.

Dave
Certainly, it is added to change the gold alloy color. I think the silver makes it green, but don't recall after all these years.

Sorry, my statement about silver in HCl was poorly worded. I should have stated that a minute amount of silver will be turned into a passivating layer of silver chloride. None of the silver will go into solution.

Gold shark is correct the amount of copper and gold will shield the other elements within the alloy so the HCl will only dissolve the small amount of metals available on the surface before passivating.

Gold shark is correct the amount of copper and gold will shield the other elements within the alloy so the HCl will only dissolve the small amount of metals available on the surface before passivating.
Thanks everyone, this tells me what I "kind of thought" ... It might be worth trying to remove "the surface solder" (tin and Lead) from GF pieces with HCL before melting. I would think best method would be to
1 wash then use HCL boil
2 rinse/wash GF and filter off "passivating layer of silver chloride"
3 then move on to Nitric and then AR
Side note
My wood fire "oven" for PCB depopulation will be done today, so I will be starting to recover ?something? from all this computer "stuff" I've collected ...
thanks for information

Back