Gold Foam

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you add hydrogen peroxide to vinegar, and some, but not too much salt to allow the oxygen to stay in solution, you can get somewhat exciting results on copper, and perhaps aluminium but I haven't tested that one.
I would say , if you put silver in AR (which should be present around tin) you could have silver chloride which, even if little, generates quite a bit of volume.
You never let Tin come close to Nitric if one in any way can avoid it.
Another thing is that Vinegar should be avoided at any cost due to two things.
It can create among other things Lead Acetate which is very toxic.
And it will create much more waste than HCl.
The last part I do not quite understand
you could have silver chloride which, even if little, generates quite a bit of volume.

While I never have heat into the equation as I can hardly heat a solution, summer and sun do a great job providing heat and evaporation, thing that reduces waste. I dislike messing with lead tbh.

I thought that silver in AR would give silver chloride.

I had understood he used aqua regia on pins and CARDS, so I expected some tin and silver to be around too.

While I never have heat into the equation as I can hardly heat a solution, summer and sun do a great job providing heat and evaporation, thing that reduces waste. I dislike messing with lead tbh.

I thought that silver in AR would give silver chloride.

I had understood he used aqua regia on pins and CARDS, so I expected some tin and silver to be around too.
Silver Chloride is not soluble in any practical amounts. Hot concentrated AR may dissolve minute amounts, enough to skew the purity of the Gold.
That is why we cool and dilute before filtering.
And Tin and AR is no fun, that is why we try to dissolve it in HCl or AP first.
You never dissolve Gold in/on cards/PCBs. You dissolve the base metals to release the foils.
Pins is a different story.

I have prepared my material & plan on using the following. I will be starting with all clean pins (no solder). I want to use as little NO3 as possible to free the gold. I know the recipe calls for 50/50 acid/water but can I add the NO3 as needed? I think 100mL water will almost cover the pins & then add 50mLNO3 and wait. When reaction stops add more NO3 at 10mL until large pins are gone. After that add more to consume the NO3.
I'd like to try H2SO4 electrolysis but I don't think I have the proper Anode & Electrode to perform not do I have a regulated power supply other than "device chargers, ect".

Will this process work for me?

1. sort materials to like kind, Pins, Fingers and Soft Coated

2. NO3/H2O (50/50?)> warm/hot soak Pins until base metals dissolved add more gold until no NOx fumes from solution.

3. Filter (save solution Copper, Silver ect) & Wash foils

4. take Gold to AR

5. Filter & test the PH (DeNOx?)

6. Drop with SMB or Cement with Copper

7. Separate liquid, Dry the powder and melt

(Picture Weight = 136g. pins)

Attachments

• IMG_20230604_131313420.jpg
    IMG_20230604_131313420.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
2: add more gold plated material in stead of gold.

3: silver dissolves in HNO3

5: No need to wash foils, decant all liquid, pick out pcb parts, and add HCL to make instant AR with the left-over HNO3 to start it up. Add drops of HNO3 if needed.

6.5: wash gold powder very well. See link.

Sounds like a good plan altogether.
Not the process i would choose, but if you have the nitric, go for it!
https://goldrefiningforum.com/posts/2620/You can skip the ammonia step if you like and start wit hcl after decanting. No water rinse first.

I have prepared my material & plan on using the following. I will be starting with all clean pins (no solder). I want to use as little NO3 as possible to free the gold. I know the recipe calls for 50/50 acid/water but can I add the NO3 as needed? I think 100mL water will almost cover the pins & then add 50mLNO3 and wait. When reaction stops add more NO3 at 10mL until large pins are gone. After that add more to consume the NO3.
I'd like to try H2SO4 electrolysis but I don't think I have the proper Anode & Electrode to perform not do I have a regulated power supply other than "device chargers, ect".

Will this process work for me?

1. sort materials to like kind, Pins, Fingers and Soft Coated

2. NO3/H2O (50/50?)> warm/hot soak Pins until base metals dissolved add more gold until no NOx fumes from solution.

3. Filter (save solution Copper, Silver ect) & Wash foils

4. take Gold to AR

5. Filter & test the PH (DeNOx?)

6. Drop with SMB or Cement with Copper

7. Separate liquid, Dry the powder and melt
First impression seems ok.
But since you are not dissolving the Gold in step 2 no need to add additional pins.
But do it warm.
Just filter/decant the liquid and set a side for next batch.
Wash the foils repeatedly and keep the wash water.

Then cover the foils with HCl and add Nitric, start with a third of the wight of the foils and then another third after it looses the power.
Then by the drop until all is dissolved.
Add a drop or two with Sulfuric dilute a bit and cool a before filtering crystal clear.
Then you are ready for SMB and on to step 7

Edit to add:
Martijn beat me ;)

Back