Gold from Laptop batteries

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FrugalRefiner said:
MissRoxy said:
laughs see now the videos i had seen failed to mention the addition of HCl a second time yes that would make more sense to me then. i have nothing against finding a more cost effective way of doing things and oddly that is kind of how i ended up here on this site i am a glass blower and found a free source of fire clay with a sweet bonus in my waste from cleaning the clay haha i found gold
You don't need to add HCl a second time. I just used that as a way to explain that if you create nitric acid from a nitrate and HCl and add more HCl you'd create aqua regia. In practice, you just start with enough HCl and add some nitrate, but not enough to react with all the HCl to make nitric.

Dave

ok gotcha i forget that youu can do that if it is not balanced it will only react with so much leaveing the other unchanged ok makes sense i guess i just was worried that people were just saying something they do so often that others might waste time trying and get nothing

nknewberry said:
kurtak said:
Not to mention the danger of rupturing the batter when trying to get the GP ring out - ruptured battery = exposed to lithium :shock: not a good idea :!:

Kurt

Do you know the dangers of the lithium that is present in the battery? It is a lithium polymer not a metal sheet. It is not really that dangerous. Plus lithium isnt very reactive anyways, All you have to do is get a pan of water and if the battery heats up just throw it in until it discharges. But u have to really tear up the battery to get it to short.

Dude. No. I've done this before and I can tell you from experience that unless you have good safety equipment it absolutely shouldn't be done. Use gloves because it can only hurt/kill you if it decides to absorb through the skin. Lithium polymer batteries along with Li-ion batteries are mainly made of lithium transition metal oxide complexes and a carbonized copper electrode.

The electricity is pumped into it forcing the lithium ions to adsorb to the carbon layer as lithium metal aided by the organic (usually explosively flammable diethyl ether) with some lithium compound that is soluble in ether. so yes there is lithium in charged batteries.

a pan of water won't stop that electrolyte from catching fire because it floats on water like oil. lithium is very reactive and large amounts can react violently or even explosively with water. What you're describing is actually magnesium which does react with water albeit at a very slow pace. also a short in a lithium ion battery is really dangerous if it's charged. and it is incredibly easy to short out the battery

Back