Gold Nuggets - Boise Idaho

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Assay at about 20karat, and the other content silver."

Just by their appearance, they seem to be closer to 18 karat. Who did the assay? You, or the person who you're buying them from?

Do you have an XRF gun at your pawn shop? If yes, shoot one or two of the larger nuggets. I would be very surprised if your gold nuggets don't also contain Cu.

Peace and health,
James

We have a DXL2 XRAY at the store, most of the larger ones are showing 20-22k and very low copper with the other percentage mainly silver (typical here in Idaho).

Around here, placer gold sells for up to 75% of spot, the gold runs around 18K.

Larger nuggets can bring higher prices (more like jewelry), prices can range higher than the objects value in gold.

I WILL BUY ANY and ALL Placer gold or gold in Quartz (after specific gravity) I pay NO LESS than 80% and sometimes over spot (by weight)

mlgdave

Nuggets under 1 oz. Troy are usually bought for around 1.2 times spot, based on fineness. Looking at the lot and not seeing much over 1 oz. nuggets ( I could be wrong since there is nothing to scale it by), I would buy it at 5% under the spot to pay for some refining costs, based on the fineness. Not a lot of value in smaller nuggets to drive a premium. The money to be made is in the construction of jewelry. The nugget jewelry line is not too high in vogue, except for a small amount of mineral collector types.

Nuggets under 1 oz. Troy are usually bought for around 1.2 times spot, based on fineness. Looking at the lot and not seeing much over 1 oz. nuggets ( I could be wrong since there is nothing to scale it by), I would buy it at 5% under the spot to pay for some refining costs, based on the fineness. Not a lot of value in smaller nuggets to drive a premium. The money to be made is in the construction of jewelry. The nugget jewelry line is not too high in vogue, except for a small amount of mineral collector types.
Understood. I got some nuggets to eventually process to .999 after a while of experience & experimenting. Just trying to build up materials as I practice with lower grade metals so the costs are kept lower. Just got a small outbuilding ordered, shopping for glassware, and will attempt to make my own nitric and sulfuric, I can get hcl cheap enough from the local pool supply store.

Planning on taking a little time off soon, wife goes to see grandkids in western Washington, I go to the creeks and do a little learning on how to separate and pan for gold.

Back