Gold per pound of polishing rouge doing all 10kt???

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I own a jewlery store and have been sending off my rouge for twenty five years and have a suspicion that they are ripping me off..I polish all 10kt and i have 10 pounds of rouge and was wondering what the average weight of gold i will get with it??? I want ot refing it myself and was wondering if its is worth the effort?? I heard u get 1 ounce per pound of rouge and if that is true then its worth it to me for sure.. Can someone please let me know .. SID

A good customer of mine owns a company that makes dental stuff and he gave me the name and number of the company he uses.I know nothing about that type of material,however he praised them a lot and said hes used them for many years and very satisfied with the results.I dont know anything about them so I cant say one way or another,if you want the info just pm me and let me know.You should also talk to nick(NOXX) he has a company that processes material.I don't know if he processes the type that you have,but if he does I know he'll do you right.
Johnny

If it is nothing but 10K buffing dust, I would guess that the unprepared dust would run around $300/pound, more or less. It can vary quite a bit. When shipping unprepared buffing dust, you are pretty much at the mercy of the refiner.

Unprepared dust is hard, if not impossible, to sample and assay. If it is possible, I would prepare the dust before shipping. That involves incineration, grinding, removal of magnetic material, and screening. The final material can easily be sampled and assayed.

I've set up and worked with refiners who process this stuff all of the time, while 10 pounds is a small lot, it can be burned, crushed, sifted and sampled while you watch. Then if you invest $50 - $75 in a sweeps fire assay you can know for sure. If anyone has an interest I can post the methods to fire assay jewelery sweeps in the assaying section.

From a historical note most prepared sweeps lose 30 to 50 % of their incoming weight on incineration. High grade prepared sweeps average close to 1 ounce per pound for polishing sweeps but that may be mixed 10 - 14 k only the jeweler knows. So knowing this GSP's estimate is right there.

try sending it in to ARA and compare I love these people honest and personable never got a better deal take about 10 days. no additional charges just the 2%

Back