Gold Pins

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hello everyone....
what do you say about the price? worth it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325499091143
thank you
Vary rarely anything on Ebay is worth it, but from time to time it is.
Gold price is now 60ish USD per gram
Pins will give something around 1-2 grams per Kg for the high yield pins
50 grams means 250 USD per kg
So, No I do not think it is worth it, other than for training purposes.

When I was full time refining (doing it for a living) I processed gold plated pins by the 5 gallon (20 liter) bucket full

The vast majority of pins I processed over the course of about 10 years ran about 1.5 grams (average) per pound pins (so about 3.3 grams per kilo)

Working on that average expected yield would mean that 50 grams of fully plated pins would yield about 0.165 grams of gold

That means at $60 per gram (roughly current spot gold price) you can expect to recover about $9.90 of gold from 50 grams of plated pins

That said - there are some exceptions to the above rule wherein you may find pins that run higher in yields - BUT - higher yield pins are uncommon if not down right rare & (at least in my experience) two other better yields that you may find

The first is yield of about 3 grams per pound (or 6.6 grams per kilo) not exactly rare - but - uncommon

To put that in perspective I would get batches of pins with this kind of yield about 15-20% of the time (so about 1.5 - 2 buckets full out of 10 buckets full)

The other yield you may find is about 5 grams per pound (or 11 grams per kilo) these are VERY RARE

To put that in perspective I only saw pins with this kind of yield 3 times in my 10 years of processing gold plated pins & they were relatively small batches (10 - 20 pounds)

For what it is worth - I processed on average (plus/minus) about one & a half 55 gallon (200 liter) drums of pins per year

The bottom line here is that if you are going to buy pins - you have to buy them on the expectation of a yield of 1.5 grams per pound (3.3/kilo) & then if you get lucky you may recover 3 grams per pound (6.6/kilo) & if you get REALLY LUCKY 5 grams per pound (11/kilo)

Kurt

I just looked at the pic of the foils in a bowl that golddigger provided in his ebay add

Based on that pic it looks like those pins are the 3 grams per pound yield type pins - so yes good yield pins

However - that still means that at gold spot price (of about $60/gram) 50 grams of his pins would only yield about $20

In other words - he is asking the full spot price for the gold you can expect to recover - AND - you have to pay for shipping on top of that - AND - you still have to invest your time & chems into recovering that $20 worth of gold

Kurt

I processed 1 kilo of pins from those round twist lock Deutsch connectors and recovered a little over 5g. I used a hack saw to split the metal casing, but what a pain separating out the pins from the rubber isolator. I know they do make tools to extract the pins..... those Daniel tools aren't cheap.

hello everyone....
what do you say about the price? worth it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325499091143
thank you
Hello,

Those are tester jig pins (with spring), which are considered to be high yield pins. They are used in PCB testing automation, and are heavy plated to withstand the 20k to 100k pushing cycle.

To answear you question, NO it is not worth buying at this price.

If you want to calculate if it is worth buying anything, use the description provided by #kurtak and #Yggdrasil.

If you really want to know how to make profit on recovered gold, just follow the simple logic. How much can you earn on one day of regular work (8 hour), and how much gold can you buy from that money. If you cannot do better with the gold recovery than it is not worth buying.

The above thoughs are my opinion, and just an opinion not a guide. Please treat it accordingly.

Be safe

Pete.

My rule of thumb - unless you are processing massive amounts of gold plated material that you obtain for next to nothing, it is not worthwhile - at least for conventional aqua regia processing.

For the hobbyist, even gold filled material is marginal.

Most of the youtube stuff I see is by people who are stacking the gold they recover with the expectation that gold will skyrocket sometime in the future. So it does not matter as much to them if they pay a bit more than the current going rates.

If I were to stack gold, it would be known rounds/coins from a national mint.

Back