GOLD PLATED OBJECTS

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalfish AR

Just a quick question wondering if anyone knows...

Is there a substitue substance used for gold plating? For example: something that looks like gold but really isn't plated with real gold of any kind? I have some plated jewelry I want to process but some of it has a funny look to it so I wanted to be sure before I did anything with it! Thanks

INDEED!!!!!...Here in Mexico there is a solution called "PANTASOL" which goldens any object of metal just diping in it.

Unscrupulous thieves(here in Mexico) buy golden e scrap items,extract the gold with cyanide and regild the fingers,pins or whatever with this solution and resell them to unsuspecting buyers.

I do not know what "PANTASOL" is but it is sold in any jewelry supply store,it is pretty common.

Best regards

Manuel

Most gold looking plating nowadays
is made by silver or chromium, or the like
and wrapped with yellow transparent
plastic

Wow! Thanks guys, I got better answers than I thought I would get!! Best regards to you also. I will keep my eye out buying e scrap from Mexico I guess!

The only two metallic elements that aren't white or gray are gold and copper. Therefore, any alloy that has any color has to contain at least one of the two. There are coatings that give a golden color - scratch through these and use a magnifier to see the underlying metal.

There are many copper alloys that are yellow. Test for these with a drop of nitric.

Latest posts

Back