Gold Plated

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmdlcar

How many pounds of Gold Plated chains would I need to get 1 gram of Gold? Then I will know how many grams I will need for a good size round or bar.

What would be the best way to remove Gold Plated?

There is no one answer to that question I’m afraid of all depends on the thickness of the plating.
The best way to remove the gold is by cyanide or one of the new work around processes Patnor has been posting as acid based processes will need to dissolve the base metals first creating loads of waste.

I deplated my first 4 kilo's of brass contact pins in 96% Sulphuric with electricity.
Downside: slow process, need to monitor it and replace a copper contact rod around in the basket. concentrated H2SO4=danger, need to dilute the acid with the gold after settling and siphoning off. Can leave traces of gold on the base metal.
Upside: amost no basemetals dissolved, less waste.

Second method: dissolve in AP. Lots of waste or AP to reuse.

Third method: (if there is a lot of copper underneath) melt it all together and run it through a copper sulfate cell.

My yield with the sulfuric stripping cell was .3% of the weight. So 3 grams per kilo. Those were small and a lot of surface area per weight. Chains could be thick, bringing the surface / weight ratio further down.
It can be .5 gram per kilo or maybe up to 5 grams per kilo.

After the sufuric stripping cell, i had a lot of little gold plate spots and underneath the clamped parts where the wire insulation is inserted. So i went on to the copper sulfate cell to get the last bits out and get acquianted with the process.
Have not refined the collected anode slimes yet.

Cyanide sounds scary, but with the right safety measures could be the easiest way, never tried it.

And then there is the iodine leach, which still is being fine tuned.
Like the stores these days...too many options to choose from. I hope this helps you and does not confuse you too much. It all depends on the type of base metal and how much time you are willing to spend on it.
Any idea whats the base metal?

Martijn.

It sound like I need to get about 1 kilo or 2 pounds, so when I find Gold Plated item I will put it in a box tell I get enough stuff.

I do have 14k Gold Ear Rings and other Gold item about 20 grams so far.

I do have Gold over Sterling Silver about 100 grams so far.

When I get enough I will do the AP because I did that when I did Computer finger and I still have about a pound of them.

I have 7 of these. I'm not sure about.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Caesars-Palace-Madallion-Necklace/324451608869?hash=item4b8ad2a925:g:1gcAAOSwuf9f9eSc

Will this work for AP?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hydrochloric-Acid-32-10-Molar-Laboratory-Grade-1-Gallon-4-quarts/114560164232?hash=item1aac516188:g:QBkAAOSwwz1fzxq5

jmdlcar said:
Will this work for AP?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hydrochloric-Acid-32-10-Molar-Laboratory-Grade-1-Gallon-4-quarts/114560164232?hash=item1aac516188:g:QBkAAOSwwz1fzxq5

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kem-Tek-2-Gallon-Muriatic-Acid/4570022

It will be outside under the garden center by the pool salt.
If you go to the painting section where they have mineral spirits (paint thinner) they also have gallon jugs of hcl. The acid in the paint section is like $9 a gallon, where as you can go outside and get 2 gallons almost for the price of one. Make sure it IS NOT the environmental green kind.

Lowe's is good, Home Depot here has two gallons for $11 and change. For me Lowe's is closer, but I go by Home Depot a couple times a week.

I had a chance to visit both Menard's and a Rural King a few months back and I was impressed. Wish we had them around here.

ACE Hardware has this brand Transchem Muriatic Acid 1 gal. Liquid $8.99. I will buy 1 gallon because I don't want to keep too much for safety.

Rural king here is always sold out. I think they sell it as a seasonal item. During the summer they would carry about 10 gallons at a time.

Back