Gold recovery from ceramic eproms

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you get them in heated AR you might get some white stuff coating the chips. Some of it might be silver chloride and some will be the adhesive that bonded the two ceramic halves together. It shouldn't cause too much problem, it'll filter of okay.
Yeah got plenty of that. But haven't encountered any silver chloride either now or when I did the nitric wash.

Well I didn't do that because there's only good under the chip. No gold bonding wires, just that little bit of gold braze under the chips. So I suppose you could do that but you might be better off clipping the sides of them so there's only the middle section. And just throw away the top and the legs. Then if you still want to the pulverize the middle section that you keep? I'm no expert and you see that I'm not getting any better results. So I hope whatever you do that it works. Good luck!
It's a time-saving thing on those chips. Clipping off all the extra ceramic would take quite a long time. The ceramic is insoluble in acids and the aluminum will vanish in a weak HCl wash. So, it makes sense to just toss them into a mortar and crush them quickly, roast to drive off any potential polymers, use a magnet to grab the legs of those that are kovar, then leach the fragments with HCl to remove the base metals. After that, the only thing remaining will be powdered ceramic and PMs.

Back