Gold Refining Basics

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to us.
But I really have no idea what you have done.
What did you do up to the situation you describe here?

And two tidbits of information.
1. Stannous Cloride is used as a testing solution for precious metals and you use it by dripping a drop on a paper, cotton bud or a spot plate.
Then you add a drop of the solution you are testing to the same place. Or you can add the solution first.
Never add it to the whole solution.

2. SMB is used to drop the Gold from a pregnant solution of Gold.

We recommend all new members to read the book of C.M. Hoke.
She describes refining in a very easy to understand way.

Here you will find a copy.
https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=17706#p179081https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=19798

Tried Snci2 with SMB and already deposited gold and it still shows black, I'm not an expert, is there still gold left? Please answer
Can I assume you meant SnCl2? The lower case l can look very much like an upper case I. It may seem trivial, but using correct chemical symbols can be very important. See Tips for Navigating and Posting on the Forum.

I'm guessing you tried to drop your gold with SMB, but you are still getting what you feel is a positive test for gold using SnCl2. If that's correct, can you please post a picture of the SnCl2 test? We'll go from there.

Dave

Do same test with SMB instead of SnCl2. (SMB is a little stronger reductant)

Last edited:
I have deposited gold with SMB. But if you check with SnCI2, it's still black
I think this is a so called false positive, it starts brown and getting darker until black.
There may be several reasons and some is too much SO2 or Copper in the solution.

So again.
Please describe what you have done so far and do not leave anything out.

Another question: Have you read C.M. Hokes book yet??

Back