Gold sand

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minner20

Hi guys
Forgive my ignorant question but I'm still learning from the forum and from Hoke's book.

I have a metal detector and by using it I got a good amount of soil that contains precious metals ( strongly believe it's gold only )
I used the panning method to wash off all the dirt and got gold with sand ( as in the attached picture )

I'm confused now what to do next!?
Thanks
Aj

Attachments

• 20201213_225258.jpg
    20201213_225258.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 604
What you think is sand may be gold too, or rust. You may melt as is with a little borax which will collect sand and rust

If you can see what you think is gold in that pan full of sand (as in the picture), it is most likely not gold but mica or pyrites or fools gold.
Real gold will be hidden under the sand, and you almost never see it until you pan out almost all of the other material (sand and rocks from the pan).

Being a beginner to panning for gold, I would put some pieces of lead in the pan similar to the size of the gold, count the pieces of lead so you can retrieve them all after finished panning for the gold.

The gold is much denser than any of the other materials in the pan, more than three times the density of any sand or gravel, it is denser than the lead.

Shaking the pan any gold and your lead will go to the bottom of the other rocks sand and gravel, now tilting your pan forward to work the heavier materials into the bottom corner of your pan as you violently shake and slosh the pan around and then side to side.
tilting the pan forward dump off the top layers of sand (into your large tub of water used as a catch pan and the source for your panning water.
Reload the pan with water and repeat the process until the only thing left is gold and your lead left in the pan.
after panning off most all of the black sands you can wash the rest away from the gold and lead with carefully rolling of the pan so the water rolls over the top of the sands lightly washing the remaining lighter black sand away from your gold particles and pieces of lead...

with this method, you can separate gold that is almost too small for the eye to see and gold which could be better seen with a jewelers loop, from iron rocks as big as your fist, and any sands or gravels, although classifying your material will make it easier to pan.

Pan the material into a large tub of water so any material you pan from your pan will be caught in the tub (and can be redone if needed.

Pan out everything but the lead and the gold, by panning you can pan out most all of the heavier sands of iron ore composition such as the black sands of hematite and magnetite, which are heavier than the other sands of quartz and other gravels, you can wash away all of the gravel and sands even the heavier sands away from the gold and your pieces of lead with a little practice.

Panning is a skill easy to learn and do, once you get the hang of it.
Panning and practicing with the lead is a good way to learn.

If your gold washes out of the pan before the lead, or if the gold of similar size moves around easier in the pan than the pieces of lead then it is not gold. if you can hammer the gold to pieces it is not gold, gold is malleable and will flatten under the hammer fools gold will shatter or smash to pieces...

A metal detector will react to many different minerals besides gold, in fact, metal detectors or gold detectors are normally better at detecting worthless "hot rocks", trash and iron, and other metals and salts than they are at detecting gold.
Just like panning for gold, using a metal detector to find gold is a skill that takes practice.

Lino1406 said:
What you think is sand may be gold too, or rust. You may melt as is with a little borax which will collect sand and rust

I tried this method with an electrical furnace with max temperature 1150 C° but it didn't work :| ,
so I think I'll use the AR method. Thanks

butcher said:
If you can see what you think is gold in that pan full of sand (as in the picture), it is most likely not gold but mica or pyrites or fools gold.
Real gold will be hidden under the sand, and you almost never see it until you pan out almost all of the other material (sand and rocks from the pan).

Being a beginner to panning for gold, I would put some pieces of lead in the pan similar to the size of the gold, count the pieces of lead so you can retrieve them all after finished panning for the gold.

The gold is much denser than any of the other materials in the pan, more than three times the density of any sand or gravel, it is denser than the lead.

Shaking the pan any gold and your lead will go to the bottom of the other rocks sand and gravel, now tilting your pan forward to work the heavier materials into the bottom corner of your pan as you violently shake and slosh the pan around and then side to side.
tilting the pan forward dump off the top layers of sand (into your large tub of water used as a catch pan and the source for your panning water.
Reload the pan with water and repeat the process until the only thing left is gold and your lead left in the pan.
after panning off most all of the black sands you can wash the rest away from the gold and lead with carefully rolling of the pan so the water rolls over the top of the sands lightly washing the remaining lighter black sand away from your gold particles and pieces of lead...

with this method, you can separate gold that is almost too small for the eye to see and gold which could be better seen with a jewelers loop, from iron rocks as big as your fist, and any sands or gravels, although classifying your material will make it easier to pan.

Pan the material into a large tub of water so any material you pan from your pan will be caught in the tub (and can be redone if needed.

Pan out everything but the lead and the gold, by panning you can pan out most all of the heavier sands of iron ore composition such as the black sands of hematite and magnetite, which are heavier than the other sands of quartz and other gravels, you can wash away all of the gravel and sands even the heavier sands away from the gold and your pieces of lead with a little practice.

Panning is a skill easy to learn and do, once you get the hang of it.
Panning and practicing with the lead is a good way to learn.

If your gold washes out of the pan before the lead, or if the gold of similar size moves around easier in the pan than the pieces of lead then it is not gold. if you can hammer the gold to pieces it is not gold, gold is malleable and will flatten under the hammer fools gold will shatter or smash to pieces...

A metal detector will react to many different minerals besides gold, in fact, metal detectors or gold detectors are normally better at detecting worthless "hot rocks", trash and iron, and other metals and salts than they are at detecting gold.
Just like panning for gold, using a metal detector to find gold is a skill that takes practice.

Thank you for the thorough reply and explanation.
Well, I can say that after almost a month of practicing panning I can say that I did as you described.
Using the panning skills, I'm pretty sure that what in the pan is gold because it's much heavier than water, dirt, and sand.

The gold I have is hidden under the sand and you can barely see it under the sand.

I would like to pan for Gold but in Ohio I don't think there is no place to do it that I know of.

Pyrite is heavier than water, mud and sand. It looks like gold for the untrained.

Take some of your gold and crush it between two metal surfaces. Does it become yellow and shiny, then it looks good. If it turns black as ink or a black with a green tint then you have pyrite or some other sulfide mineral.

Pyrite does conduct electricity so big enough concentrations can register on a metal detector. It is usually called heavy mineralized ground.

Göran

g_axelsson said:
Pyrite is heavier than water, mud and sand. It looks like gold for the untrained.

Take some of your gold and crush it between two metal surfaces. Does it become yellow and shiny, then it looks good. If it turns black as ink or a black with a green tint then you have pyrite or some other sulfide mineral.

Pyrite does conduct electricity so big enough concentrations can register on a metal detector. It is usually called heavy mineralized ground.

Göran

I understand that pyrite is also heavier than water, but with gold in the pan you feel that it will not move.

I have a dust gold so I can't crush my gold between two metal surfaces as you suggested. Is there any other way do you have to offer me?
Thanks
Aj

If indeed you have gold in your pan and it is as fine as you describe you can dissolve it with HCl and hydrogen peroxide or bleach, filter the solution and either test using stannous or precipitate using smb or copperas.

I suggest you listen to Nick. That is a good suggestion. Fine gold is easily dissolved in HCl + bleach or HCl + strong hydrogen peroxide, and the liquid is easy to test with stannous chloride.

Göran

nickvc said:
If indeed you have gold in your pan and it is as fine as you describe you can dissolve it with HCl and hydrogen peroxide or bleach, filter the solution and either test using stannous or precipitate using smb or copperas.

Appreciate your reply.. many thanks

Aj

g_axelsson said:
I suggest you listen to Nick. That is a good suggestion. Fine gold is easily dissolved in HCl + bleach or HCl + strong hydrogen peroxide, and the liquid is easy to test with stannous chloride.

Göran

I will. Thank you

Aj

Hi again,
Please look at the new photo and tell me if I'm doing well.
What's next ? What are substitutes for Stannous chloride ? image000000(1).jpg

Stannous is very easy to make simply get some lead free solder and dissolve in HCl and leave a little of the solder in the solution.

nickvc said:
Stannous is very easy to make simply get some lead free solder and dissolve in HCl and leave a little of the solder in the solution.

Thank you Neck,
Do you think from the previous photo that I'm on the right way? Meaning what I have is gold and is now dissolved ?
When comes the stage of precipitation ? Melting ?
Regards

Unfortunately the color of a solution tells you very little unless you know what went into making it, the only way to find out is to test it with stannous and post photos so we can see what you see, then we should have an answer as to whether you have any good or not.

Why did you focus your picture at the floor and table legs?

Every time a new user comes up and says "OMG FOUND GOLD!!!" it ends up being nothing at all.

nickvc said:
Unfortunately the color of a solution tells you very little unless you know what went into making it, the only way to find out is to test it with stannous and post photos so we can see what you see, then we should have an answer as to whether you have any good or not.

I thank you again and appreciate your answers.

Regards

I order the PayDirt and it came yesterday. I didn't get much but I now have some Alaska Gold it feel good to have some. I won't get rich but I might.

Back