Gold testing

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torch666

I am not sure if this is the correct place for my question. But here it goes. I have some gold testing solutions 10kt &14kt . These are usually used with a stone that I don't have. Can they be used same way that stannous chloride solution is? Say with a filter paper and the droplets? Will this be able to show the gold content of an AR solution? Thanks again everyone. Me being new I am still trying to get my $#$* together.

No. It’s not the same at all. Your testing solution is nitric acid used to dissolve the gold.

Stannous chloride is used to present gold already dissolved.

I am not sure if this is the correct place for my question. But here it goes. I have some gold testing solutions 10kt &14kt . These are usually used with a stone that I don't have. Can they be used same way that stannous chloride solution is? Say with a filter paper and the droplets? Will this be able to show the gold content of an AR solution? Thanks again everyone. Me being new I am still trying to get my $#$* together.
Hello sir. I would just like to give you one small piece of information. You can go to a local hardware store and purchase an opaque piece of tile that has a slightly rough surface. Back it with a piece of black paper or something like a little black rubber mat. That will work as good as any scratch test stone you would purchase off of the internet. Rub your gold on it to make a nice dark gold line about an inch long, and then test it with your karat acid. You could also use a piece of black tile if they have one that suits you. Good luck sir.

Back