Gold tipped ribbon cables and gold on mylars

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I read again the Air Regenerated Acid Cupric Chloride article and try to comprehend a few thing since I can not wrap my head around all the formulas.
So I start with HCL and H2O2 and Oxigen from air plus the dissolved base metals. This becomes CUCL2 or Cupric Chloride? To renew the solution after eating away base metals I have to add HCL or H2O2 or both? That part I could not understand from the article. It seems like the space time continuum has warped.
I made this to visualize the preparation and use of AP.

Martijn.

Edit to say: free for all to use.

Attachments

• Preparation of AP.pdf
    386.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
There are many ways to renew copper(ll)chloride also known as CuCl2 or the dreaded AP. For me the simplest is to add an aquarium air pump. Leave it running until the solution turns green again. Adding fresh HCl will work if the HCl is depleted. Peroxide is the carrier and not the cure for dark CuCl2. The needed oxygen is carried by the peroxide, effectively regenerating the CuCl2 if the problem is the lack of oxygen. If you have gold involved you again risk dissolving it when adding peroxide. This is why I prefer the air pumps as well as they work without standing there and watching over it. This dark, depleted solution often occurs when using minimal solution. An excess of solution works faster and and is aided by the pump keeping a constant, steady supply of oxygen.

If you think dark CuCl2 is a pain wait until it starts going clear on you 😊

I made this to visualize the preparation and use of AP.

Martijn.
Nice graphic, I was thinking to make a drawing to visualize things better. So basically when I added HCL and indirectly CUCL2 (because initially there was none but the copper from the material oxidized in the presence of oxygen forming CUCL2) this newly formed solution started attacking all the base metals (?) but not gold(?) and while doing so became darker forming CUCL1 (WHICH IS BROWN). Then by adding O2 becomes green again (ONLY IF STILL IT HAS enough HCL?) and then the cycle of "LIFE" starts again like in Buddhism.

Nice graphic, I was thinking to make a drawing to visualize things better. So basically when I added HCL and indirectly CUCL2 (because initially there was none but the copper from the material oxidized in the presence of oxygen forming CUCL2) this newly formed solution started attacking all the base metals (?)YES but not gold(?)YES and while doing so became darker forming CUCL1 (WHICH IS BROWN). Then by adding O2 becomes green again (ONLY IF STILL IT HAS enough HCL?) and then the cycle of "LIFE" starts again like in Buddhism.
Exactly. You got it!

No idea how aluminum reacts to CuCl or HCL. Never tried it. Don't need to.
Google for: Al + CuCl reaction.
Iron cements all the copper out, by displacement according the reactivity series. So do other base metals.

Try to find out how to convert CuCl1 to CuCl2. That should explain alot.
Edited: Removed bad link.
I am doing an experiment to see how I can rejuvenate and reuse AP, I have put a few gold fingers from RAM and covered it with used AP which is now brown (indicating it is CUCL1) I added the bubbler and let it run to introduce Oxygen to transform it back into CUCL2. It should turn light green again? I also added a little fresh HCL

Back