GSP's Book For Sale

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry but that's wrong. Any work of "art" is copyrighted the moment it is published. It only needs to be registered in case you are going to sue anyone for copyright infringement. At least in the USA.
The law was changed in... I believe 1972. For works before that day you had to register a copyright to receive it.

Göran

I don't know, Göran. Which is the publishing company who holds the copyright and can make legal actions on it nowadays? The book wasn't published like Hoke's was. Chris says it was written in 1983 for a seminar he was planning on giving. Then, he sold some spiral-bound copies he made in 1989. After that, in 1989 or 1990, he gave a permission to a guy (who was a scrap metal dealer) to print the book and sell it for half the money, who again, made spiral-bound copies and sold them. He never mentioned having the book published. It was a more private book that some people got than a book directed to the public in general. If it wasn't ever published how can it have copyright? or, Why doesn't it appear named anywhere online (aside from here)?

Hoke's book did have copyright, but now it doesn't have it anymore. The Secrets of GSS' story is different, it wasn't even published like Hoke's one.

Thanks for reading,

- Ismael.

Edit: Some clarifications to the penultimate sentence of the first paragraph.

Ismael, Göran is correct when he says any work of "art" is copyrighted the moment it is published. But I think you're taking the word "published" too literally. I did a lot of study on copyright law before I posted my versions of Hoke's book.

A work of art as Göran put it can include written words, recorded music, photographs, drawings, electronic books, software, etc. Essentially, it is anything the human mind can put into a form that can be shared with others. Written materials can include books, manuscripts, magazines, newspapers, etc. In our modern world, that also includes electronic media.

You're saying it can't be copyrighted because there was no "publishing company", that it was only "spiral bound", and that Chris never "mentioned" having it published. None of that affects whether something is protected by copyright. Consider all the web sights of the world that do include copyright notices on their sites. There is no publishing company and their work is never printed let alone bound in some fashion. But it is protected. Including a written copyright notice in a book or on a website is not required, but it does strengthen the author's case if it goes to court. No one can plead ignorance by saying the author didn't include a notice of copyright on their book, and they never mentioned to me that it was protected, so I assumed I could make all the copies I wanted.

This is a tricky subject for us. I don't think any of the moderators want to see Chris' work lost forever. But we also respect the work he put into committing his knowledge to writing, and the rights to copyright protection he deserves, even after his passing.

Unless someone is able to make contact with a member of Chris' family, I don't think we can endanger the forum by sharing copyrighted material here. About two and a half years ago, our forum was shut down for days by the web host because it received a complaint that there was copyrighted material on our forum. It turned out that the complainant was a member here, and he had actually made the post that he later filed the complaint about. :roll: It didn't matter that the complaint was false. It still had the forum down for days.

Dave

Well, I think you've convinced me Dave. Sorry to waste everyone's time with something that wasn't correct. I just wanted to help me and everyone who didn't get it when it was available. I guess I lost it forever, or maybe not, maybe I'll have to wait 70 years until it's in public domain. It's all my fault, if I had been there when I could buy it, this wouldn't have happened to me. Besides, why doesn't his family sell it or something? But it turns out that I won't get it anytime soon, as Chris' family probably won't do anything on it.

Many would say that why aren't his posts enough, and I'd reply that some information could be "recovered" but the lack in some details and the original meaning or context is very evident. I try every single day to rewrite his book from scratch just using his posts and some analysis but I fail miserably. Why is it so important to me? I think his book, along with Hoke's one and all the other materials in this forum, are fundamental to improve my knowledge before even attempting to refine something.

I agree with you, Dave. I don't really like losing the knowledge, but it I'll respect the decision (I guess it's time to cry). But my sadness will go eventually and I'll be as happy as the first day I entered here.

By the way, lazersteve, if you read this; I'd really like to know if you could sell me your DVDs but instead of sending me the physical objects, I'd like to get them in mp4 (besides, I don't have any way to reproduce it, as my computer doesn't work anymore). Send me a PM please.

Thanks for reading,

- Ismael.

Ismael,

As you are so dogged, perhaps try contacting his survivors yourself:

https://www.nevadadailymail.com/story/2606908.html

Sorry if I offended you, Lou. That wasn't my intention at all, I didn't mean to say you're trying in a wrong way. I'm not blaming you either. I'm blaming his family for not trying to make a way to sell the book or something. Sorry for any inconveniences.

Ismael, I don't think Lou was offended. And I don't think Chris' family deserves any blame for not making his book available in some way. It is quite likely they are not even aware of his book. I know Lou has tried to contact the family but without success. Perhaps you are the one to try to follow up any leads to track someone down who might be able to help. Feel free to try. If you make contact with anyone, I'm sure some of the team, myself included, will be happy to try to see what we can do to continue Chris' legacy for everyone's benefit.

Dave

You know something, Dave? I've thought of that possiblity too, that's the situation that might be happening. I'll continue searching, it'll be hard but not impossible. If I contact them and the book is available again (whether it's paid or not) I will be very happy to inform it right here, I promise. Thanks to everyone in this forum for making it such a good place everyday.

- Ismael.

Back