Hang on to your Gold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Johnny: What I am talking about is holding on to metals long term to capture the increase in price over time. I think there are a lot of other places to put your money that will offer a better average annual return. Look at the average annual return for gold bullion bought in, let's say 1960. I haven't looked at numbers like that in a long time but I think they would be rather low. Of course I am not talking about a situation where somebody is involved in metals and have found a situation where they are turning over their inventory and making a profit on a frequent basis. Wayne.

"For example, over a 45-year period gold has outperformed stocks and bonds, while over a 30-year period, stocks and bonds have outperformed gold and over a 15-year period, gold has outperformed stocks and bonds"

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/020915/has-gold-been-good-investment-over-long-term.asp

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

While I agree with both of your replies, gold (bullion) would be the only safe investment, albeit the returns would be small, over a long period of time.

It's better than cash. It is also less risky than most investments that give large returns. That is why I think there are some countries hoarding gold to hedge against fiat paper. Stock can go to zero if the economy tanks, but gold and other assets would have some value.

Unlike paper, it does not burn.

Unlike digital currency, it can’t be erased, or keys lost.

Unlike real estate, it is portable.

Everyone knows what it is, from the Midwest to Cambodia.

metatp said:
It's better than cash. It is also less risky than most investments that give large returns. That is why I think there are some countries hoarding gold to hedge against fiat paper. Stock can go to zero if the economy tanks, but gold and other assets would have some value.
Lou said:

I really wish Jean would incorporate a "like" button on replies. But maybe that would give the forum more of an immature social media complex.
Either way, Metatp, Lou, excellent points.
I know this is kicking a dead horse, but metallic gold is the one and only universal currency on virtually every land on the planet. It's been worshipped, revered, traded, stolen, killed for, and died for. In ancient cultures it's been used in the most barbaric rituals imaginable, such as removing parts of people's skulls and applying sheets of it to their brains, then replacing the removed pieces of skulls, all of this being performed while the individual is awake. Every religious book on Earth makes mention of it countless times. I could go on for hours, but it's time to go eat lunch.

What currency has survived history?

The yearly wages that a Roman soldier was paid in gold, and the bread he could feed his family with on that gold, today he could buy the same amount of bread today to feed his family for this year.

What country's currency has been so consistent even in the hard times?
What currency has been recognized throughout man's history?

What country is there that does not hold gold or would like to hold it in their vaults?

These metals not only hold value because they are recognized by all as means of trade, and as a show of wealth as in gold jewelry or a platinum-plated car but also because of their importance in industrial use, chemical properties that we call these metals Nobel.

Gold, when it was found by the first man, he knew he had found something valuable, and useful, something he could trade for bread, use as decoration and show of his importance, and was also useful in making tools, ever since then, throughout history man has been fighting to get his hands on these metals, is that gold nugget the caveman found any less valuable today? His greatest grandson today could feed his family on with that same gold nugget.

I will keep my gold buried, it is not an investment for me, it is security.
I know it will always hold value and will buy bread no matter what the future holds.

Gold can be used as investments just like a stock or other commodities, but just like any of those, it is not without risk.

Gold is useful as a currency, as a commodity for trade, to back a country's wealth, a very industrial important commodity, important for its chemical properties, and uses in medicines, it will never be worthless like all of the other currency's used throughout the history of man.

Lou said:

SPOT ON :!:

A few months ago my landlords house just burned down

He had $30,000 cash in his safe & it turned to carbon - he had no way to "prove" he had $30,000 in his safe so he "lost" it

My landlords wife also had a large amount gold & silver jewelry in the house &/or safe --- it all melted down so was not lost --- the other day when I paid my rent they asked me if I could refine it for them :mrgreen:

A month ago my bank got "hacked" & people with accounts at that bank (including me) had their debit cards used by the hacker --- I was lucky that my account was debited for only $1.89 before the bank fraud department caught it & canceled my debit card --- I had to get a new debit card

I have enough gold & silver in my personal stash that I can survive most any down turn &/or loss should down turn or loss happen

Its REAL & I hold it & its value will not be lost when lies & B.S. fails other holdings

Example; - in 2008 when lies & B.S. holding failed MANY - gold & silver treated me VERY well :mrgreen:

Kurt

True Kurt

Metals are good as part of a portfolio. Everything has its upsides and downsides but you can always get cash right away for gold. Anywhere in the world.

Lou said:

+ What you do not have in your pocket you do not have at all when the poo hits the fan.

stella polaris said:
Lou said:

+ What you do not have in your pocket you do not have at all when the poo hits the fan.

Not only is your comment extremely illogical, it's not true.

Johnny5 said:
stella polaris said:
Lou said:

In what way? Sure you can dig it down in the basement but if you put it in the bank its out of your control

FrugalRefiner said:
Johnny5 said:
stella polaris said:
I assumed his use of "in your pocket" was figurative, meaning in your possession.

Dave

I was not thinking that way. Given the discussion was, gold versus cash, I took his comment to mean cash in your pocket.

Johnny5 said:
FrugalRefiner said:
Johnny5 said:
stella polaris said:
I assumed his use of "in your pocket" was figurative, meaning in your possession.

Dave

I was not thinking that way. Given the discussion was, gold versus cash, I took his comment to mean cash in your pocket.

Np. No harm to me.

Perhaps you are not saying so in US. In Sweden we have an old saying: To have silver in the pocket. Meaning you are solid and stand well.

I always have a silver coin in the pocket. Then I actually have money in the pocket and not only currency as most people.

butcher said:
What country is there that does not hold gold or would like to hold it in their vaults?

Norway!

Does not have any gold. All oil money invested in the so called Oil Fund. Mostly stocks. They have a LOT in that fund. They sold of the little gold they had. It was placed in England so they had no real control over it anyway. But if there would be a global economic crisis, with crashed stock market, they will stand with their pants down.

With no reserves in resources and among the absolutly most debt burden people in the world they are not so solid as it looks at first glance. Sweden is the same. We have more personal debt than an Indian debt slave. If a crisis hits the house prices crashes, the currency inflation go viral and we have no gold/PM saved. Those that put all in investments can lose it all in a mater of days.

In the bitter end its all about resources. Gold is the most durable of all resources. If you do not hold it in your hand do not count on it.

The problem today, as i see it, is that most people can not differ between money and currency. Even more frightning, they can not differ between resources and currency. Even many economists can not tell the diffrence. Most of the economists do not even know what the word Economy means. Ask if you meet one

House keeping of resources is something we have forgotten.

Regarding the sale of the Norwegian Gold, I think it was actually kept in Fort Knox or somewhere in the US.
It was smuggled from Norway to England during the beginning of the WW2.
But anyways, it was sold in the 80s or 90s when the gold was at its lowest in decades.
It was of course a political decision and as such stands beyond reasoning as always ;-)

Back