Have gold +/or silver rings.Sell,melt down, or ebay?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibesleeping

Have acquired 20 plus gold,silver,sterling silver, rings.Should I Sell to a jewelry refinery online,or try to melt down,or sell to a local jeweler, or sell on ebay?
Which one is more profitable ?

From my very limited experience so far, reselling on Ebay will probably give you the most profit. That does come with a little bit of risk if you auction it though and if you set a buy it now price you may have to wait awhile for it to sell. The next most profitable would likely be to refine the rings yourself into the pure precious metals assuming you already have the equipment and expertise; also assuming the rings are not in a condition to retail above the precious metal content value. Other option and the fastest would be to just accept whatever a jeweler or pawn shop will offer you. But this option will be the least profitable assuming they are not high end pieces. So it really depends on which path you wish to go down.

Sl1ck, that's a pretty good post for your first post here. Welcome to the forum.

ibesleeping said:
Have acquired 20 plus gold,silver,sterling silver, rings.Should I Sell to a jewelry refinery online,or try to melt down,or sell to a local jeweler, or sell on ebay?
Which one is more profitable ?

They all have their pros and cons.

Online refiners are an option, but risky. I've never sent material out, but others have. Some have had positive experiences, and others not so much. If you make a decision to go that way, let us all know, and perhaps other members will contact you with recommendations.

Melting down... To what purpose? Not that it might not have its merits, but if you melt it down, what would you hope to accomplish? I'm not being argumentative. It just depends on what your goals are as to whether it might benefit you.

eBay is always an option. Just be sure you understand the fee structures and the risks. eBay and PayPal will take a bite out of your sell price. Scammers are everywhere, including those who buy on eBay. You ship rings. The buyer says they weren't as advertised and gets eBay to give them a refund. You get back a box of rocks. But it's an option.

You could try to sell them here. Make a post in the Sell or Trade section with clear pictures, a list of what you have, your general location, etc.

There are members here who might toll refine your material. They are refiners. They range from small operations to some very large ones.

"Which one is more profitable ?" That's impossible for us to answer. Only you can judge your personal circumstances, risk tolerance, time commitment, etc.

Dave

Back