hcl cleaning

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the wash procedure would be similar. The precipation from AR and the gold powder from the cell both could contain similar contaminants (The cell of course could be dirtier) Therefore similar washes.

I followed Harolds advice-Hot HCL (boil) and the powder settled and I was able to decant and wash with water again.

What does the Amonia do that makes the powder become so fine that it remains suspended?

but the salts of these metals are different and so is the chemistry. making ammonium sulfate is different from ammonium chloride, and then you have the metal ions in solution which can also be different, what may be soluble in chloride may not be as a sulfate etcetera.

EVO-AU said:
QST: What would a good oxidizer be to mix with the hcl to clean the ppt's ? Remember now, this is ore, not scrap .............
Phill

Phill- Have you tried peroxy monopersulfate? It is available at most swimming pool shops as a non-chlorine pool oxidizer. VERY powerful but relatively safe and easy to use. Be aware that if your solution has salt in it, the chlorine will outgas like a fat dog eating bean burritos.

Not sure if you got my PM's. Sometimes there's problems with PM function on this forum. Just email me at [email protected] if interested.

Jeff

jsargent, since Phill is asking about removing base metals from precipitates. How is peroxy monopersulfate going to be used?

Phill, I am not sure if you are asking about adding an oxidizer to hcl, but, if so, any oxidizer you add will cause some (if not all) of your values to be put back into solution.
Randy

Platdigger said:
jsargent, since Phill is asking about removing base metals from precipitates. How is peroxy monopersulfate going to be used?

Phill, I am not sure if you are asking about adding an oxidizer to hcl, but, if so, any oxidizer you add will cause some (if not all) of your values to be put back into solution.
Randy

Good point Randy. If he adds chlorox or nitric as oxidizers they'll certainly pull values back into solution. Not sure about monopersulfate doing it any more so than H2O2, so it MIGHT be safe. Personally I wouldn't use any oxidizer with the HCL if all I was doing was washing the precips. Maybe heat it up a bit.

Jeff/Randy: Thanks guys. Things are getting more sensible all the time.

I believe I have found a way to eliminate the primary leach mess ! No chemicals ! Goes back to mother nature ! The experiments are fun, rather intriguing, and VERY non-toxic. !!!!!!!! We'll see !

Anybody out there have any ideas in regard to doing without chemicals, except for the final refining and smelting. Something just clicked in my searching endless mind. Might just do away with smelting too. Sounds far-fetched, I know. But the possibility exists.

Phill

Rick, Randy, Harold, etc and etc:

Here we go again. I was following Hokes on cleaning and washing ore and then covering with Nitric. I did one run with Nitric and one run with HCL. Well, I have not finished up with the nitric run yet, because the HCL run proved out like all my previous runs in other methods. Anyway, the solution from the HCL run turned out to be a nice dark brown color. Well, my usual acid neutralizer is also my ppt. So without leaching in general and then pH'ing I found that just using cold HCL ( ala Hoke ) after drying the mike showed beautiful gold in the dark brown powder.

Question ?? Does this mean that ( short of repurification ) the cold HCL is the actual leach or should I go another step and do an Iodine or SSN leach ? Things sure do get screwy in chemistry.

Sure could use some more opinions here. Thanks. Phill

Phill, what do you mean by "after drying the mike"?

If you truely are getting gold from your ore with just HCL, you could have some water soluable gold in there.

Don't get excited Harold, I have documentaion from Action Mining stating they have proved this to ocur......:). They were themselves sceptical about this existing before doing some testing.

Not sure what form the gold would be in, I mean, in the ore....perhaps chlorides.
Randy

The dark color, to me, indicates the presence of considerable iron. If a test with stannous chloride doesn't prove the presence of gold, that's likely what you see.

The only reason I'd have a question about water soluble gold would be the same reason AR shouldn't be used for extraction. All too many elements can serve as a precipitant---so the chance that gold would remain in solution is remote, at best.

I believe in the concept. I do NOT believe it to be true in practice. I'd have to witness gold being removed by nothing more than water. I surely wouldn't believe anyone's word. If , indeed, they have gold in solution, having used nothing but water, I'd question the chemical makeup of the feed, where chances are more likely to be of such a nature that a solvent is created upon the addition of water.

Harold

Randy: Roasted twice, cleaned with citric acid, tested for iron and then tried a very strong magnet that a friend built for me just for this purpose. Simmered in HCL for about ten minutes and tested with Stannous. Then used the microscope ( mike ) and got real excited when I saw the au nuggets in the brown-black powder. All this after I soaked the ore in HCL for about twenty hours. Phill

precip from the leach. Before drying the multiple-washed precip, it is a deep yellowish orange. When it ( the powder ) dries, it turns dark brown. Phill

Randy:

My blooper, you had me up the funnel; the phrase "after drying the mike" should have had a comma after the word drying - thus separating two thoughts. Cie Le Vie !!!!!!!!!! Phill

Randy/Harold:

From an herbal view, look up ' Henriette's Herbal Home Page " and see her bit on soluble gold in water. It is labeled 'gold and sodium chloride'. Interesting. Phill

Latest posts

Back