Hello everyone!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opulence of aurum

Hello everyone!
I got into this area of things back in 2010. I was on a combat deployment in Iraq. I did actually save up and funded a few mining operations in Africa back then; after I got out. Unfortunately, I eventually ran into scams! I did get scammed on my third trip over there. I decided not to go back and to deal with the medical issues from my previous combat deployment, that I’ve been putting off, at that time. Seven or eight years later, I was about to graduate college and go on to law school. I get recalled back into the US Army due to shortages in the previous job that I had in that branch of service. I decide to stay in until I retire this last time. Then, I found out about refining computer scrap for precious metals. I did a lot of visual studies by watching SREETIPS and omegageek64. Once I retired, I set up my own lab and started my “hands on study.” It took me about eight months to get the hang of it there were a lot of painful nights and days between finding where to buy things and, knowing the difference between sulfuric acid and sulfamic acid, etc.… At this point, I think I am ready to start buying and not just to experiment but, to actually refine.

When I started looking for bulk computer scrap, I started running into problems. When I say, “problems” I am referring to scams! Luckily, My bank did not allow one of the items that I tried to purchase to go through. Then I started looking A little harder at what the scammers were saying and they basically all follow the same script and use the same payment methods. I got tired of it! I started asking for paperwork first! Like, the paperwork I have to be able to do what I am doing legally with licenses. I won’t say here what they all are because, anyone that is legitimate knows what they are.

Scammers always do this listed below!!!!

Bank to transfer (TT)- (The minimum amount is always over what it cost to actually do a bank transfer.)

Zelle, Western Union, and Money gram.

All these ways listed above are very common with scammers. You won’t see them use PayPal or any type that requires them to verify they are what they say they are. Also, if they do use PayPal they are not listed as a business but, as friends and family which is also a red flag!

After being frustrated for about three days and having very little sleep because of getting so many text messages and emails to my business account and WhatsApp, I started looking online for other people who have had or are having the same experiences and issues that I am currently having right now. I found this form here and what attracted me to it was one patron said, ” Computer scrap champs is a scam!“ that attracted me here to read more! That was a question that I had and was not finding anything on that particular website. So, I said to myself, this would really help me to deal with scammers and possibly find bulk sellers here, that are legitimate!

All this information here is also in my about me section. Also, I am still getting to learn how this form works. If I made a mistake anywhere I apologize in advance.

Welcome to the forum .this is my idea how to deal with your situation. Just don't buy any thing on line .try to buy scrap from .places close by . And try to understand all material that you need or want to refine so you have an idea what to buy .and price and how much you gold you will get out .start small .be smart and you will get big with time . Scrap material it's not the same .there some experts in the forum they will help you with any question you have . And read hooks bock ..that too will help you get better understanding on refining and how to handle thing . Good luck

Welcome to the shark tank, when you start to look for large quantities of e scrap you are inviting those sharks to start circling. Most of the people with large amounts of scrap have established contacts who either buy or pay on results and breaking into that world takes time and contacts to help you even get someone who will even talk to you about what they have.
We have said many many times that finding material to refine is the hard part and decent quantities for most is simply impossible, you may find some material but finding regular large amounts will be very hard.
Im sorry if this sounds very negative but this is how it is unless you are already an established refiner or as I said have someone to introduce you to the right people.

Welcome to the forum .this is my idea how to deal with your situation. Just don't buy any thing on line .try to buy scrap from .places close by . And try to understand all material that you need or want to refine so you have an idea what to buy .and price and how much you gold you will get out .start small .be smart and you will get big with time . Scrap material it's not the same .there some experts in the forum they will help you with any question you have . And read hooks bock ..that too will help you get better understanding on refining and how to handle thing . Good luck

Thank you for your comment.

Buying local was definitely something that I attempted to do and the funny thing is, I was having the most difficult time. Of course, I have not put into perspective the amount of time I’ve been looking. I have been looking for 2 1/2 years, with no success. Local for me started changing, it was no longer the city that I lived in, it became the regent of the state and then larger and larger areas that I was looking in. In my area, we had a lot of computer repair shops at one time. We do not have that anymore unfortunately they were also what I call “mom and pop computer repair stores.” (non-franchise privately owned small businesses ) Those were the ones that I really enjoy. I have adjusted my search patterns by looking in more rural areas instead of a larger area like I live in.

During the Covid lockdown, I did drive around picking up computer towers, flatscreen TVs, and other electronics, etc.… I did get what I will call, an OK amount of material to process but, it was very labor-intensive and time-consuming. I am trying to circumvent some of the labor-intensive portions, by finding supplier(s).

Thank you for your post, suggestions, and your kind words.

Welcome to the shark tank, when you start to look for large quantities of e scrap you are inviting those sharks to start circling. Most of the people with large amounts of scrap have established contacts who either buy or pay on results and breaking into that world takes time and contacts to help you even get someone who will even talk to you about what they have.
We have said many many times that finding material to refine is the hard part and decent quantities for most is simply impossible, you may find some material but finding regular large amounts will be very hard.
Im sorry if this sounds very negative but this is how it is unless you are already an established refiner or as I said have someone to introduce you to the right people.

Hi, thank you for your post!

I really like the comment about, “welcome to the shark tank!” That had me dying laughing! I don’t thank your comment was negative at all. I think you were just stating the reality of things. I agree, I need someone to introduce me to someone or a group that can supply me with what I am looking for. I did find a company in Frankfurt, Germany that contacted me they gave me a bunch of paperwork to take a look at. Unfortunately, I have to translate it all. (laugh out loud) Luckily, the US has a military base close by so, I could fly there very cheaply and check them out once, I translate their paperwork, due to me being a military retiree. At this point, I am trying to burn the candle at both ends; looking in my area, looking in rule areas, online, and here.

Thank you for your post and thank you for letting me know that this is a very common problem. These types of topics are not topics that I speak to people about and it does feel good to have the opportunity to speak to others that are doing the same thing.

Thank you for your comment.

Buying local was definitely something that I attempted to do and the funny thing is, I was having the most difficult time. Of course, I have not put into perspective the amount of time I’ve been looking. I have been looking for 2 1/2 years, with no success. Local for me started changing, it was no longer the city that I lived in, it became the regent of the state and then larger and larger areas that I was looking in. In my area, we had a lot of computer repair shops at one time. We do not have that anymore unfortunately they were also what I call “mom and pop computer repair stores.” (non-franchise privately owned small businesses ) Those were the ones that I really enjoy. I have adjusted my search patterns by looking in more rural areas instead of a larger area like I live in.

During the Covid lockdown, I did drive around picking up computer towers, flatscreen TVs, and other electronics, etc.… I did get what I will call, an OK amount of material to process but, it was very labor-intensive and time-consuming. I am trying to circumvent some of the labor-intensive portions, by finding supplier(s).

Thank you for your post, suggestions, and your kind words.
You will make it keep looking some time even yard sales you may find some thing .till you meet some one that can supply you with big amount .but in same time you learn more in refining with the small scrap I don't refine scrap and iam not in USA and I don't know much people that I can trust to refer them to you .that some thing you have to work on with time by meeting more refineries directly . Good luck

Also you can make money on other metals . Not just gold . Like copper .aluminum . ....... There is a lot of people in USA just throw away so many things in front of there houses if you have a pickup truck you can pick like refrigerators .AC old tvs .and more and you break them up if you have space . Take what you need espacly copper. Aluminium .with copper you can make bars .and sale them .there is more to this .you can make more money then gold if you are at the wright spot . I have meet some one in Virginia that do that for living

That’s very true, there is a very big market for those other materials. Also, they are much more easier to acquire. There are people checking my trash every week to see if I put out any type of scrap metals. I had to start putting my trash out the same day as pick up instead of the night before. Not because they were looking in my trash but because, they would make a mess, sometimes.

Thank you for your post and your suggestions.

mate our forum members referred me to fleamarkets on sunday,they said they are definitely worth it,I am not in usa so flea markets may not be in my reach but for sure for you.
search for the best available materials near you,best is use and chase for Rams instead of processors .
I too had similar experiences with scammers around and mostly prepayment before goods in volume with just VAT and paypal friends and family options.
Also try onething "cash on delivery /cash against delivery LC ON BANK options LC on sight are better options still.
regards
swami nair

yes mate you are right but on the other hand you have the option to open the boxes before the delivering agent in the cam and verify the option and send it or receive it.but open the box or parcel before a cam.Then repack it before cam and handover.I had watched a friend of mine do the same on cash on delivery items before the courier and cam.
Hi Swami,

Cash on delivery is no protection against fraud.
You pay, get the parcel and unbox a bag of rusty screws or a brick.

Flea markets .yard sales .adds close to your area .see it.and then buy it only safe option for scarp .or purchase a pickup truck .and go around neighborhoods.and pick up scrap metal .cooper aluminium iron .you decided sale it or make coper bars ....there is more to this .but not to purchase from net unless you meet some one you can trust .

In Germany, you are not allowed to open the parcel until you paid.
From the moment you paid, the courier is not allowed to refund the money regardless whatever your complaints are.
worst ambience here the condition is same, with return policy we can return the package even if the product is not satisfactory we can return the products, but unfortunately they are for selected goods.The company whom we bought will pickup and after the vendor verification of defective or changed items will be replaced or money back as we opt.

Back