Hello from New Hampshire!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrappyManMan

2 months of e waste scrapping and YouTube videos mixed with lots of research. I barely put the word out and my garage is stacked with computers and monitors, electric motors of all sizes, cables, circuit boards of most grades and copper. Lots of copper. I’ve been on a hunt for my niche now for a while now. I’m 28. I enjoy organizing and sorting. (Could never think of a career that involves organizing that I enjoy). I got into electronics through my job with soldering and repairs and fell in love with scrap and raw materials.

Now for these last two months I’ve been stacking up all sorted materials as best as I can without having made one run to the yard. I found every yard in my area. I called for some prices. I checked out their web sites. and I’m almost ready for my first sale. I have some questions.

1) Can I sell my plastic scrap?
2) What should I do with monitor filters?
3) Are monitor power boards the same as power supplies?
4)Can my snipped cable ends go for dirty brass?
5) How much gold scrap should I accumulate before I dare to recover?
(I just ordered a scale online)

Thank you!

Welocome to the forum.
Depends on so many factors. And most questions are about scrapping for metals, not precious metals.
I'll bet you get a lot of monitors, most buisinesses have to pay for those to turn them in. Good luck getting rid of them as a buisiness. Especially once stripped of copper and pcb's.

Sort and sell the most, cherry pick through the high end components to recover values from.
There is a lot of info on the internet about scrapping waste and e waste.

Build up a good relation with some scrappers and you'll learn what is worth going after and what not.

Martijn.

Ill keep it at it and learn what to steer clear of, as well as networking with others. Thank you.

To your point about metals and precious metals; I’m stocking ram, hard drive boards, vga connectors, and all the gold strip pcb’s from these monitors. And I just learned about gold band crystal oscillators. Thanks for the help!

You're well on your way.
If you find a new unknown component, research a bit before you break it open. There are relais with mercury inside. Be very carefull.
Some heatsink contact pastes are toxic.
Beryllium is carcinogenic.
Once you're company is bigger, to make scrapping really worthwhile, get an xrf gun to sort the different alloys if you get industrial scrap.
You can make a lot more on special alloys.

Back