Hello I am Derrick

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmitchell75

My name is Derrick and live in the USA. Washington State to be exact. I'm 45 and just started getting interested in refining and recovering precious metals.

I was in the Army and was discharged after being injured. I have always had an interest in Science and in precious metals. So I thought that refining precious metals might be something interesting to do for a hobby.

Although I have been collecting silver and gold for a while. I thought that refining it could be a nice hobby that would keep me thinking and present me with a few problems that would make me think and look to others for help.

I found this forum by searching through the internet and realized it was a giant treasure of knowledge. Thanks to everyone who keeps this going and answers everyones questions. I'm sure at some point I will be relying on you to tell me what I need to do to get better at refining or fix a mistake.

Glag to be a member,
Derrick

My name is Derrick and live in the USA. Washington State to be exact. I'm 45 and just started getting interested in refining and recovering precious metals.

I was in the Army and was discharged after being injured. I have always had an interest in Science and in precious metals. So I thought that refining precious metals might be something interesting to do for a hobby.

Although I have been collecting silver and gold for a while. I thought that refining it could be a nice hobby that would keep me thinking and present me with a few problems that would make me think and look to others for help.

I found this forum by searching through the internet and realized it was a giant treasure of knowledge. Thanks to everyone who keeps this going and answers everyones questions. I'm sure at some point I will be relying on you to tell me what I need to do to get better at refining or fix a mistake.

Glag to be a member,
Derrick
Hey there derrick happy to have you here. I too am from washington state. Ask any questions you need help with.

Derrick, I have been a gold miner/diamond and precious metal refiner since 1976 for a living, I'm 71 today. It has taken me around the world many times, working in Sierra Leone, West Africa and Guyana, South America as Operations Manager in Multimillion dollar setups, See Examples: for gold and diamond: and for gold only
While, you might say I am qualified by my experience of producing thousands of ounces of gold along with thousands of carats of diamond, yet don't start talking or asking any Alchemy questions here on this forum or you will get suspended, as they did me several times. Good Luck Derrick.

Hi Derrick, Welcome to the forum. I used to live in Republic, WA a little one horse town. Now I live in No CA a five horse town. I mostly do scrapping. To me these is more money in that end of it. I am getting ready to take about 200 pounds of insulated wire to the scrap yard on monday. But the best part I have boxes of circuit boards that will either go on feeBay or boardsort. I don't want to get into the actual acid bath bit. Just too old to set up a lab and all.

Derrick, I have been a gold miner/diamond and precious metal refiner since 1976 for a living, I'm 71 today. It has taken me around the world many times, working in Sierra Leone, West Africa and Guyana, South America as Operations Manager in Multimillion dollar setups, See Examples: for gold and diamond: and for gold only
While, you might say I am qualified by my experience of producing thousands of ounces of gold along with thousands of carats of diamond, yet don't start talking or asking any Alchemy questions here on this forum or you will get suspended, as they did me several times. Good Luck Derrick.

But i thought you are supposed to ask questions ? I thought this was a forum of knowledge to where you can ask for help and info on refining, so to dumb it down for me because im slow...so your saying you do no want anybody to ask about how you set up your gold and diamond operations ??

Why would you tell everybody about you having experience and producing thousands of ounces of gold but not want to answer questions about it or help with knowledge ? Im not trying to be rude. Im just trying to understand because i bet you got some real interesting adventures and knowledge you could pass on !

He said "don't start talking or asking any Alchemy questions". We've had many members come and go when they start talking about alchemy. While much of our scientific knowledge had its roots in such ancient beliefs, we now know you can't practically turn lead into gold, or extend your life with an elixir of immortality or philosopher's stone.

Dave

He said "don't start talking or asking any Alchemy questions". We've had many members come and go when they start talking about alchemy. While much of our scientific knowledge had its roots in such ancient beliefs, we now know you can't practically turn lead into gold, or extend your life with an elixir of immortality or philosopher's stone.

Dave
So in other words some people get all sensitive when they start talking about alchemy or getting asked alchemy questions ? Then they leave the forum and never come back ? And so the person who caused that other person to leave the forum indefinitely is now banned ? because the people that have the power to ban are lonely and upset because someone has up and left the forum for good so they must use their power to ban out of spite ? because someone must pay for such an outrage ? Is that what is being stated ! I just want to know for my records ! And that I abide by the rules ! ?

So in other words some people get all sensitive when they start talking about alchemy or getting asked alchemy questions ? Then they leave the forum and never come back ? And so the person who caused that other person to leave the forum indefinitely is now banned ? because the people that have the power to ban are lonely and upset because someone has up and left the forum for good so they must use their power to ban out of spite ? because someone must pay for such an outrage ? Is that what is being stated ! I just want to know for my records ! And that I abide by the rules ! ?
Why go down this road?
Alchemy started chemistry 2000 years ago, when it was something between magic and religion.
We have developed since and chemistry now are a part of hard science.
But still someone from time to time come with some of the turn lead to gold class of beliefs and questions.
If they then refuse to stop these things they usually end up banned, after some time.

So why are you so infuriated about people refusing science, being banned?

Did you have a bad day that you got a bit worked up?

Some general advise, that does not necessarily apply to your comments...:

Of course you're allowed to ask if fairy tales are true, you may get some assertive responses, but leave it alone after that.

Disinfo has no place here. Spreaders of disinfo will get a warning first and get banned if they proceed.

No-one will leave the forum because of other peoples beliefs in fairy tales. Should they leave in a good manner without trashing the frontdoor, they won't get banned.

Most fairy tales in refining have been debunked here serveral times. Stick to the known processes and leave experimenting and developing new processes to the pro's. Most things have been tried already.

But implying a moderator, highly respected members who have earned that position, is doing anything out of being a lonely frustrated person is treading very thin ice! Be nice. Please.
People do get banned or timed out for such fouling of this gem a lot faster than asking how to turn lead into gold. Which only happens in a supernova by the way.

Respect this treasure, it's members and the free scientific knowledge offered and we'll all be friends😘
There is no pace for hate, frustrations, discrimination or any of that.

Martijn.

Did you have a bad day that you got a bit worked up?

Some general advise, that does not necessarily apply to your comments...:

Of course you're allowed to ask if fairy tales are true, you may get some assertive responses, but leave it alone after that.

Disinfo has no place here. Spreaders of disinfo will get a warning first and get banned if they proceed.

No-one will leave the forum because of other peoples beliefs in fairy tales. Should they leave in a good manner without trashing the frontdoor, they won't get banned.

Most fairy tales in refining have been debunked here serveral times. Stick to the known processes and leave experimenting and developing new processes to the pro's. Most things have been tried already.

But implying a moderator, highly respected members who have earned that position, is doing anything out of being a lonely frustrated person is treading very thin ice! Be nice. Please.
People do get banned or timed out for such fouling of this gem a lot faster than asking how to turn lead into gold. Which only happens in a supernova by the way.

Respect this treasure, it's members and the free scientific knowledge offered and we'll all be friends😘
There is no pace for hate, frustrations, discrimination or any of that.

Martijn.
I understand ! You explained that very well And that is unique that lead can be turned to gold in a supernova ! Is that because of the mass force and fusion of different elements mixing and creating gold ? Just asking since you have so much knowledge !

It can be done on earth too, I think, but in nano scale in the biggest colliders.
You need nuclear fusion and these energies to create new heavier elements.

I remember a few years ago reading on the internet somewhere probably couldnt find it again but as I recall
someone did the lead to gold thing but it required some kind of nuclear reactor and it cost 186,000 a gram

From wikipedia:

Gold synthesis in an accelerator[edit]​

Gold synthesis in a particle accelerator is possible in many ways. The Spallation Neutron Source has a liquid mercury target which will be transmuted into gold, platinum, and iridium, which are lower in atomic number than mercury.[citation needed]

Gold synthesis in a nuclear reactor[edit]​

Gold was synthesized from mercury by neutron bombardment in 1941, but the isotopes of gold produced were all radioactive.[12] In 1924, a Japanese physicist, Hantaro Nagaoka, accomplished the same feat.[13]

Gold can currently be manufactured in a nuclear reactor by the irradiation of either platinum or mercury.

Only the mercury isotope 196Hg, which occurs with a frequency of 0.15% in natural mercury, can be converted to gold by slow neutron capture, and following electron capture, decay into gold's only stable isotope, 197Au. When other mercury isotopes are irradiated with slow neutrons, they also undergo neutron capture, but either convert into each other or beta decay into the thallium isotopes 203Tl and 205Tl.

Using fast neutrons, the mercury isotope 198Hg, which composes 9.97% of natural mercury, can be converted by splitting off a neutron and becoming 197Hg, which then decays into stable gold. This reaction, however, possesses a smaller activation cross-section and is feasible only with unmoderated reactors.

It is also possible to eject several neutrons with very high energy into the other mercury isotopes in order to form 197Hg. However such high-energy neutrons can be produced only by particle accelerators.[clarification needed].

In 1980, Glenn Seaborg transmuted several thousand atoms of bismuth into gold at the Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory. His experimental technique was able to remove protons and neutrons from the bismuth atoms. Seaborg's technique was far too expensive to enable the routine manufacture of gold but his work is the closest yet to emulating the mythical Philosopher's Stone.[14][15]

Back