Hello I am Tim

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tjcary

Hello, my name is Tim, im hoping to get some answers to questions here. Admittedly so I fear the snarky comments from the moderators i see all over this forum when someone has a question. Yes this is dangerous stuff and people can get hurt but if every answer to a question is go read a book or stop what your doing this should not really be a thread at all. If people are already attempting these things I doubt comments like that are going to deter them. I will try to help answer any question im confident enough to and provide safety advice and alternatives in a way thats not derogatory or demeaning.

Hello, my name is Tim, im hoping to get some answers to questions here. Admittedly so I fear the snarky comments from the moderators i see all over this forum when someone has a question. Yes this is dangerous stuff and people can get hurt but if every answer to a question is go read a book or stop what your doing this should not really be a thread at all. If people are already attempting these things I doubt comments like that are going to deter them. I will try to help answer any question im confident enough to and provide safety advice and alternatives in a way thats not derogatory or demeaning.
Welcome to us.

If you behave and don’t bite at people no one, not even moderators will bite back😏

The book we all promote should be mandatory to read even before you post anything.
It has to do with creating a common plattform of understanding.
It makes you ready to ask sensible questions, that can be answered in an understandable way.

So I recommend you starting immediately.
https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=19798

Safety and waste treatment has to do with the safety of yourself and those around you. Yes that is a part of waste treatment too.
I would have loved an “unlearn youtube” button too, since the majority of trouble seem to originate from poor youtube videos and poor understanding of those videos.

When we ask someone to stop that, it is to give them time to learn the basic skills needed to fix their mess without causing more mess or worse, injuries.

Obviously you seem to have been reading the forum a bit, so I hope you will have a enlightening journey with us.

Welcome to the forum Tim!

I can understand your trepidation about comments you've seen on other threads. We don't intend to be snarky, but I can understand how they can appear. But they have to be taken in context. When someone comes here after having thrown unknown quantities of unknown materials into unknown amounts of acids, we are naturally wary about providing quick answers to bail them out. Hoke's book is suggested as a means to at least get everyone speaking the same language from a similar base of knowledge.

Yes, it is dangerous. The more you read, the more you will see that people have died or been incapacitated by trying these processes without a proper understanding of the hazards. Many newcomers don't understand that, since they've seen a few youtube videos that don't even mention the dangers.

We tell people to stop what they're doing when we recognize that they're in over their heads and potentially endangering themselves, their families, and/or their neighbors. We don't intend to be derogatory or demeaning, but sometimes telling someone to stop what they're doing is the best advice we can give.

Again, welcome, and we hope you find what you're looking for here.

Dave

Well Tim you have got replies from three of those snarky moderators now.
As a member let alone a moderator on the forum I have always seen it as my job to stop anyone hurting themselves, family, pets or wildlife, neighbors or the environment.
You can create some really toxic fumes and solutions with what is in your kitchen or bathroom you do not need what many view as dangerous chemicals or acids, as pointed out in the previous replies the reason to read Hoke is because it was written for none chemists and allows newbies to understand what we all talk about, we don’t have time or the energy to explain every step or comment and no one is paid to help or advise so perhaps you can see why the members and mods can be a little snarky with those who will not do the required reading and learning to start along the very long road to understand this subject.
Be aware we will be under the watchful eyes of many governmental agencies we have to be squeaky clean in our approach to our particular field for very obvious reasons including the materials we are after and work with plus the possible pollution we could cause .
Welcome to the forum and I hope you now see you also have a responsibility to help and advise even when people don’t want to listen.

Ill prob make a thread about them once i have actually fully understood what my question is. Also I have been searching existing threads to make sure the questions have not been answered already and doing my own experiments. Im currently doing the legwork to attempt a multi cell electrolysis system. Im also curious if anyone here has attempted recovery via activated carbon and or the graphene nano mesh. But im just not there yet in my own research to really propose a question that is not vague and easily misinterpreted.

For those willing to try and help themselves, the help from other members can be a bit overwhelming at times. For those who demand immediate answers and demand to be spoon fed the information, lets just say it can be less than desirable. Just keep in mind that many here have jobs to keep up with, and families to support. This often leaves very little time to help others, but they do it anyway. A good many do it in an effort to repay the older members for all the help and education they recieved over the previous days, months, years, and for a few even a decade plus. It seems very slow at times trying to get answers, but those doing the answering are trying to give the best possible answer to often confusing questions. Give them a chance, and they will give you one right back. Even when the answer don't seem to be what your looking for, they are still trying to help you.

Good Luck and don't forget to have fun along the way.

While studying, try to keep it simple. It's really easy to get lost in complicated theories and side tracks. Stick to known and proven processes described here.
If you have a question ask it here so you can read back on your learning path.

Most of us are more than willing to help those who help themselves by reading and studying and if in your studying you find a point you just can’t grasp just post a question and I’m sure you will get a reply to help.

I have not refined a single grain of gold myself, know very little about all the magic potions, have never read Hoke's book, and I am not looking for a new hobby. But welcome to the forum anyway.

Back