Help Needed (never seen this before)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel I need to arrest you a bit Geo 😈

Percent is a measure without denomination.
So if it is kilos, tons or featherweight it do not matter.

It is a certain part per parts just like ppm and ppb.
1 % is one part per cent (100)
1 per mil (not used much in the US)
Is 1 part per 1000
1ppm is part per million
and so on.
They are all unit agnostic and can be used for grams, tons chicken or anything else for that matter.

So 1% is the original weight times 0.01
I have no idea where you find the 0.0045?

But anyway 0.001% of one metric ton is about 10 grams, good for industrial gold ore but not for pins🤔😏
Okay, how about 453 X 0.45% = 2.03. The 0.0045 is not a percentage. I think it would be 45/10,000th or 45 parts out of 10,000. But to be fair, that is from my own observations and was in no way given to be exact. I am probably the least "exact" person I know. :)

Okay, how about 453 X 0.45% = 2.03. The 0.0045 is not a percentage. I think it would be 45/10,000th or 45 parts out of 10,000. But to be fair, that is from my own observations and was in no way given to be exact. I am probably the least "exact" person I know. :)
😃🤣

There are a few elements there that will not allow you to leach the precious metals in acidic solutions. Smelt using PbO as a collector. This will gather all of the metallics in the sample without the overburden. Zn boils at 1665°F and will boil away in the exhaust. Sulfur boils at 832°F. Te boils at 1810°F. Fe, Si, Zr, will report in the flux and the precious metals include Ni, Mn, W, Cu, will report in the metal bead. The bead then can be processed in acid without the troublesome elements.
Hi, what would happen to the plastic connectors if melted all in one, would they melt or burn away during smelting, it would seem so?

Hi, what would happen to the plastic connectors if melted all in one, would they melt or burn away during smelting, it would seem so?
The plastic will vaporize. Actually, the oils and resin will vaporize leaving carbon which will itself be converted to carbon dioxide at 800°F. The metallic portion will simply melt. Be aware that the plastic portion will bubble, boil and spit if you heat it too quickly. It's best to roast first to remove the plastic or at least the oils and resin.

The plastic will vaporize. Actually, the oils and resin will vaporize leaving carbon which will itself be converted to carbon dioxide at 800°F. The metallic portion will simply melt. Be aware that the plastic portion will bubble, boil and spit if you heat it too quickly. It's best to roast first to remove the plastic or at least the oils and resin.
seems to me it would make sense smelting in certain situations. I have gathered a bucket of pins and anything which I thought has a bit of gold, I tried to eliminate unwanted things in the mix like silver, palladium, I am not sure if I succeeded 100 percent in the selection. I figured giving them a HCL bath or nitric will cost me a lot of acid, to grind them finely and then wash away plastic and other things would decrease the volume a lot but smelting them and pour the molten metal in water to obtain little pieces for processing would be interesting, then maybe use some oxidizer to get rid of the base metals. I know definitely there is tin, copper, steel, maybe zinc....and gold maybe some traces of other metals

Garbage in garbage out. What you throw in will eventually come out at some point. Mixed feeds being incinerated or straight leached by acid comprise an unhealthy percentage of the section "Help Needed" :)
Grinding material without purpose can create exhaustive filtering operations.
Most of the times, one of the usable methods is AP leaching of the bulk. Giving it healthy ammount of time to digest magnetic parts and pins. Saturated liquid will contain copper, base metals, some dissolved silver chloride and probably palladium (if it was present in the feed way the solution could reach it). Solids will contain the gold and undissolved silver chloride. Then you will need to filter the bulk and leach the solids in AR to recover the gold.

Garbage in garbage out. What you throw in will eventually come out at some point. Mixed feeds being incinerated or straight leached by acid comprise an unhealthy percentage of the section "Help Needed" :)
Grinding material without purpose can create exhaustive filtering operations.
Most of the times, one of the usable methods is AP leaching of the bulk. Giving it healthy ammount of time to digest magnetic parts and pins. Saturated liquid will contain copper, base metals, some dissolved silver chloride and probably palladium (if it was present in the feed way the solution could reach it). Solids will contain the gold and undissolved silver chloride. Then you will need to filter the bulk and leach the solids in AR to recover the gold.
what do you think would be the best way to deal with the plastic in the mix, grind it first and separate it by water? Leaving them like they are takes a lot of volume. Also what is the AP proportions you use?

I feel I need to arrest you a bit Geo 😈

Percent is a measure without denomination.
So if it is kilos, tons or featherweight it do not matter.

It is a certain part per parts just like ppm and ppb.
1 % is one part per cent (100)
1 per mil (not used much in the US)
Is 1 part per 1000
1ppm is part per million
and so on.
They are all unit agnostic and can be used for grams, tons chicken or anything else for that matter.

So 1% is the original weight times 0.01
I have no idea where you find the 0.0045?

But anyway 0.001% of one metric ton is about 10 grams, good for industrial gold ore but not for pins🤔😏
I guess the 0,0045 is the actual result in %. result/weight = %

0,45%

Back