Help, no gold powder?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hartbar

Supporting Member
In a bit of a bind. Thanks in advance for any input.
I understand the concept on the forum of “teach a man to fish”
I’ve been reading many posts in the last month or so in an effort to learn and think I have to some extent. Encourage users to read and learn, not answer every question they have makes a lot of sense.
I’m honestly not sure what to do from this point on with solution of dissolved gold, the filter papers and rinse off. (See pics)
I’m thinking I’ll have to cement out (if in doubt cement out) but I’m not entirely sure how that works. Copper bar, rinse cement, put back in genuine AR, precipitate..
I used an alternative to AR when dissolving some karat gold, most of the gold went into solution, some did not and when I fished it out after filtering it had a dark coating over surface, it tested similar to silver with my acids.
I did not inquart the karat gold that was a mix of 10k, 14k and 18k. I was told there was no need.
After filtering I tried to precipitate as instructions noted, nothing dropped into powder. I tried a small amount of SMB, still nothing.
That’s where I stand right now

Regards

Alternatives: MX3 and quadratic precipitant.

Attachments

• D68456AB-A401-4444-8D4C-6046DC792241.jpeg
    D68456AB-A401-4444-8D4C-6046DC792241.jpeg
    458.7 KB · Views: 326
  • 8991671D-427D-4DFE-8681-DA2FAFEE662B.jpeg
    8991671D-427D-4DFE-8681-DA2FAFEE662B.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 326
Hartbar said:
I used an alternative to AR when dissolving some karat gold, most of the gold went into solution, some did not and when I fished it out after filtering it had a dark coating over surface, it tested similar to silver with my acids.
I did not inquart the karat gold that was a mix of 10k, 14k and 18k. I was told there was no need.

Who told you not to? Your describing passivation by silver chloride. It causes a crust to where it can no longer be or harder to penetrate to the gold. Just curious though...Are you testing your solutions with stannous?

In many cases you can avoid inquarting but you need to use AR in these cases as it’s way more aggressive than the alternatives especially if used hot, as a rule anything 14k or above will dissolve anything below that I’d advise inquarting, there are exceptions but only experience will tell you those so the advice to inquart karat scrap is good especially for newbies.

Thank you all,
Galenrog is correct.. no need to inquart also.
My Stannous indicates there is gold in solution, purple black result.
How do I retrieve from this point?
I know I screwed up, but need to recover some metal.
I also have the filter from first rinse after trying to dissolve, it’s dark in color
Regards

Palladium said:
Who was the company...... What was the chemical?
NOT enough information!

He had in under "Regards" in his first post so i missed it too. But its Alternatives: MX3 and quadratic precipitant.

So....Shor

[/quote]
The company is shor, MX3 instead of AR, quadratic precipitant instead of SMB.
[/quote]

Except that MX3 is not AR, and Quadratic Precipitant is not SMB. SHOR is yet to provide me with an MSDS on any of their chemicals that would pass an OSHA inspection.

Hartbar, please do a forum search of SHOR and iSHOR.

Time for more coffee.

Hartbar said:
The company is shor, MX3 instead of AR, quadratic precipitant instead of SMB.

Except that MX3 is not AR, and Quadratic Precipitant is not SMB. SHOR is yet to provide me with an MSDS on any of their chemicals that would pass an OSHA inspection.

Hartbar, please do a forum search of SHOR and iSHOR.

Time for more coffee.
[/quote]
[/quote]

I realize now that the MX3 and Quadtratic are not the same as AR or SMB. They are marketed and sold as a SAFER alternative.
This forum is all about safety after all.
I purchased the chemicals a few weeks ago, not the entire kit thankfully and didn’t see the talk about Shor on this forum until after my effort, unfortunately.
Anyway, can anyone give me some input into how I can retrieve some gold here. Advice, a link, anything.
It would be considered a fishing lesson by me.

Thank you

I posted this in general chat yesterday.

In a bit of a bind. Thanks in advance for any input.
I understand the concept on the forum of “teach a man to fish”
I’ve been reading many posts in the last month or so in an effort to learn and think I have to some extent. Encourage users to read and learn, not answer every question they have makes a lot of sense.
I’m honestly not sure what to do from this point on with solution of dissolved gold, the filter papers and rinse off. (See pics)
I’m thinking I’ll have to cement out (if in doubt cement out) but I’m not entirely sure how that works. Copper bar, rinse cement, put back in genuine AR, precipitate..
I used an alternative to AR when dissolving some karat gold, MX3,most of the gold went into solution, some did not and when I fished it out after filtering it had a dark coating over surface, it tested similar to silver with my acids.
After filtering I tried to precipitate (Quadratic) as instructions noted, nothing dropped into powder. I tried a small amount of SMB, still nothing.
That’s where I stand right now

Regards

Alternatives: MX3 and quadratic precipitant. Shor

Attachments

• AFE4DAC5-2E12-48C6-B821-17BB37605076.jpeg
    AFE4DAC5-2E12-48C6-B821-17BB37605076.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 215
  • EEF08AA9-4C09-42C1-B151-1A4B2F4A75B7.jpeg
    EEF08AA9-4C09-42C1-B151-1A4B2F4A75B7.jpeg
    458.7 KB · Views: 215
Posting the same post again will not get you anymore help.
You decided to trust Shor rather than read and study here to learn what and whatnot to do.
My advice is to cement your solution with copper safely store the waste solution and to start reading here on the forum on how to refine properly.

Thank you Nick,
I joined forum in May and have spent every spare minute I have reading the forum in an effort to learn what I can.
I didn’t “trust” shor, and again was not aware of an issue until after the fact.
In first post I mentioned maybe having to cement it out (if in doubt) I learnt that much I guess.
Again, I I get the “teach a man to fish” concept. Having said that I am somewhat accountable for this situation and I’m just looking for advice on getting some recovery of gold after cementing.
Thank you

Somebody either please explain to this man to keep these threads together or a moderator please combine this mess. Sir your problem is one continuous lot and process, keep them together in the same thread.
Following this is pissing me off! Time is money and if i have time to answer or help i don't want to chase the information to hell and back. Plus in the future new students won't have a clue what all this clutter is. The value of your questions serve no informational purpose to anyone except you. In business i charge for that information and time. It's kinda of how i make a living! Here you get it FREE! Patience is a virtue and one you better learn if you want to be successful at anything. Back to refining! :D

Ok, thank you Dave.

I’m just looking for help with my situation, that’s why I re-posted in need help.
I know I have to cement out, but from there?

Decant any solutions. Set solids aside. Cement solutions with copper.

Solids remaining after your foray into foolishness should be inquarted. Proper methods can be found on this Forum and any of the many texts on the subject of recovery and refining.

Solids remaining after decanting solutions should be tested.

Solids after cementation should be refines a few times to achieve good results.

You WILL lose some silver while recovering from your mess, and perhaps a tiny bit of gold. Get over it.

One more thing about Shor, and others of their ilk. While they MAY be purveyors of chemicals and compounds that are initially less dangerous than the standard acids and precipitants (I question this because they will not provide me with actual chemical makeup of their products), once used, these “less toxic” chemicals become hazardous waste just as much as standard acids and precipitants.

I am leaving a lot out, but my stroke addled brain does not want to play any more.

Time for more coffee.

Back