Help wanted

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laskulés

Hey GRF.

I’ve recently gotten into the whole recover and refining game and could really need some help. I am currently reading hoke’s book on refining precious metals, tho it is hard to read and understand fully.

First of I’m from Denmark, which means I am very limited on chemicals so I’ve thought about recovering gold from e-waste with HCL 30~% and hydrogen peroxide 3%.
I’ve read on the upsides of making cobber II chloride first before you add it to the e-waste, but lack the info on how you make it, how you should use it and a little more theory on why it would be better?

I’m also looking for an alternative method of precipitating the gold, I can’t get smb and will have to make the AR with bleach instead of nitric acid - any takes?

Welcome to the forum!

To make copper II chloride, just put some copper into some HCl and add a bit of peroxide. A capful of peroxide is plenty. Put an air bubbler in the solution and let it run for a week or two. That will use up the peroxide and give you a nice solution of CuCl2 (copper II chloride). Remove any left over copper and the solution should be ready to use.

If you can't get SMB, copperas (ferrous sulfate) works well. If you can't find it, you can make your own. Add some iron or steel to some dilute sulfuric acid (battery acid should be available at an auto supply store). Let the acid dissolve as much iron as it can. Filter out any remaining iron or other undissolved material, then evaporate the filtered solution. The ferrous sulfate will form crystals. Use those to drop your gold.

AR is HCl and nitric acid. HCl and bleach also dissolves gold, but it's not AR.

Dave

If the world is not more stupid than it is now, I will be in the Copenhagen area sometime next summer. Whatever you have going at that time, schedule permitting, I can take a look at.

Time for more coffee.

FrugalRefiner said:
Welcome to the forum!

To make copper II chloride, just put some copper into some HCl and add a bit of peroxide. A capful of peroxide is plenty. Put an air bubbler in the solution and let it run for a week or two. That will use up the peroxide and give you a nice solution of CuCl2 (copper II chloride). Remove any left over copper and the solution should be ready to use.

If you can't get SMB, copperas (ferrous sulfate) works well. If you can't find it, you can make your own. Add some iron or steel to some dilute sulfuric acid (battery acid should be available at an auto supply store). Let the acid dissolve as much iron as it can. Filter out any remaining iron or other undissolved material, then evaporate the filtered solution. The ferrous sulfate will form crystals. Use those to drop your gold.

AR is HCl and nitric acid. HCl and bleach also dissolves gold, but it's not AR.

Dave

Thanks a lot!

Now should i just use the cobber II chloride to dissolve base metals? In that case is there a need to add additional HCl?

galenrog said:
If the world is not more stupid than it is now, I will be in the Copenhagen area sometime next summer. Whatever you have going at that time, schedule permitting, I can take a look at.

Time for more coffee.

Sure, hit me up when you are here.

Laskulés said:
Now should i just use the cobber II chloride to dissolve base metals? In that case is there a need to add additional HCl?

Yes, use it to dissolve base metals.

CuCl2 leach can be regenerated for quite a while before there is a need to add more HCl.

Dave

FrugalRefiner said:
Laskulés said:

Yes, use it to dissolve base metals.

CuCl2 leach can be regenerated for quite a while before there is a need to add more HCl.

Dave

Thanks bud! You just made my Day 😊

galenrog said:
If the world is not more stupid than it is now, I will be in the Copenhagen area sometime next summer.

Time for more coffee.

Total derail but,

Its too late, it will be
Ever seen the movie "Idiocracy"? -we are now living it
At the precipice where intelligence dies off and stupidity grows exponentially..

It was a good, funny movie oh, 15 to 20 years ago..
...now its sad because it is so prophetic

Topher_osAUrus said:
galenrog said:
If the world is not more stupid than it is now, I will be in the Copenhagen area sometime next summer.

Time for more coffee.

Total derail but,

Its too late, it will be
At the precipice where intelligence dies off and stupidity grows exponentially..

I’m totally with you bud! We just gotta buckle up and enjoy the roller coaster of shit 🥳

Laskulés said:
Topher_osAUrus said:
galenrog said:

Time for more coffee.

Total derail but,

Its too late, it will be

I’m totally with you bud! We just gotta buckle up and enjoy the roller coaster of crap 🥳

Scaring the hell out of me :!:

Watching a scary move is one thing - when you are living it - it goes beyond scary - we are living it (IMO) :!: :!: :!:

Kurt

Total derail but,

Its too late, it will be

The introduction to "Idiocracy" is the most prescient ~ 5min on film. It can be seen on YouTube at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP2tUW0HDHA

"Brawndo, it has electrolytes."
Thanks.
Sincerely,
"Not Sure"

Lascules, you wrote:
I’m also looking for an alternative method of precipitating the gold, I can’t get smb and will have to make the AR with bleach instead of nitric acid - any takes?
Try your local hardware store and look for a product called "Stump Out". it is Sodium Metabisuphide...

Sodium metabisulphite is a food ingredient so looking round professional bakery/cookery suppliers may help. It's certainly available on ebay in UK.

Back