Help with aqua regia and flux. I need this run to go well so Im reaching out to the Masters.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GCGR

I am ready to aqua regia 20 grams of gold. The gold is still a little dirty with traces of aluminum and any other metal that may be in foil tape. There may be some residue of adhesive but not sure about that. What should I do to assure a good run? I was thinking of adding some copper to the mix. What do you think? Also I’m not sure how much copper to add. Also can I use pennies for copper?

I am ready to aqua regia 20 grams of gold. The gold is still a little dirty with traces of aluminum and any other metal that may be in foil tape. There may be some residue of adhesive but not sure about that. What should I do to assure a good run? I was thinking of adding some copper to the mix. What do you think? Also I’m not sure how much copper to add. Also can I use pennies for copper?
Welcome.
In order to make sure you have a good run,
you need to study so you understand what is expected to happen and what to do when that don't happen as planned.
Note I said when not if ;)

After you have studied these links, come back with a plan.
What material you have.
What is your planned procedure and so on.

Just a heads up, AR is never used premixed, add HCl to it and then Nitric in increments until done.
Heads up 2, if you have powders or foils, not necessary with AR.
HCl/Bleach HCl/peroxide or HCl/ pool chlorine will do the job just fine.

Anyway here is the links:

1. Read C.M. Hokes book on refining jewelers scrap, it gives an easy introduction to the most important chemistry regarding refining.
It is free here on the forum: Screen Readable Copy of Hoke's Book
2. Then read the safety section of the forum: Safety
3. And then read about "Dealing with waste" in the forum: Dealing with Waste

Suggested reading: The Library

Forum rules : https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/gold-refining-forum-rules.31182/post-327766

What is your source?

Welcome to the forum.
One step at a time. As yggdrasil asked, specify your material.
This is chemistry and we need to be precise, especially if you need this run go go right the first time!!
Details matter a lot, so try to be complete in the description of your material.

Then we can determine the best way to remove any unwanted material that can cause problems later on, then revover the precious metals and last, refine them.

Explain where you want to add copper and why. To AR?

Please don't do anything until we reviewed your case. AR is a refining process. Not meant for dirty material.

In any case, try to remove as much of the base metals as possible. Aluminum dissolves easily in HCl (hydrochloric acid), and flux (Borax) can be dissolved in dilute sulfuric acid.

Before starting with aqua regia (AR), make sure to exhaust all efforts, according to your skills and available resources, to remove base metals.

Base metals tend to consume more nitric acid than precious metals, and some of them can react with aqua regia, forming unwanted compounds that may impede the procedure when using AR. This is a general rule of thumb, and specific knowledge about your case and material would provide further insight.

General rule: Remove as many base metals as possible before proceeding with aqua regia.

Before you create liters of toxic waste solution that needs to be dealt with, you should run a small test. Cut a tiny piece off, dissolve it, then do a stannous test.

The OP never returned?...".hhhhmmmmm mix a little of this with a little of that and Im going to be ric".......GCGR was preceded in death by all of his immediate family members who passed from toxic gas inhalation. He is survived by the people who did take the time to read and study up on the safe handling and proper/responsible disposal of these dangerous chemicals."

Thats probably a tad over the top, and who knows Im probably wrong in assuming that these were not the asnwers he was hoping to hear and so went ahead and tried to revover and refine after watching bits and pieces of videos on different methods and different scrap items on the youtubes (you know the ones that dont warn of the dangers that come with this and show the guy tossing some chips into a magic potion and then melting down a gold button 3 minutes later) and just mixing up a bunch of chemicals underneath the range hood on his stove for "adequate" ventilation and he simply just hasnt had the time to come back and answer the questoins asked of him or that he is spending all his spare time studying up..... But I have feeling that Im right in my assumptions that he threw caution to the wind and went ahead and whipped up a couple jars of "gold not precipitating" or "can this still be saved?"

The OP never returned?...".hhhhmmmmm mix a little of this with a little of that and Im going to be ric".......GCGR was preceded in death by all of his immediate family members who passed from toxic gas inhalation. He is survived by the people who did take the time to read and study up on the safe handling and proper/responsible disposal of these dangerous chemicals."

Thats probably a tad over the top, and who knows Im probably wrong in assuming that these were not the asnwers he was hoping to hear and so went ahead and tried to revover and refine after watching bits and pieces of videos on different methods and different scrap items on the youtubes (you know the ones that dont warn of the dangers that come with this and show the guy tossing some chips into a magic potion and then melting down a gold button 3 minutes later) and just mixing up a bunch of chemicals underneath the range hood on his stove for "adequate" ventilation and he simply just hasnt had the time to come back and answer the questoins asked of him or that he is spending all his spare time studying up..... But I have feeling that Im right in my assumptions that he threw caution to the wind and went ahead and whipped up a couple jars of "gold not precipitating" or "can this still be saved?"
It appears that a lot of new posts follow this pattern. I find it concerning that people are actually toying with chemicals and processes that they don't understand could be life altering or fatal. I made a mistake 20? years ago with a vehicle fire that ultimately was caused by a meth lab. I still have limited sense of smell / taste and probably respiratory damage from that incident.

Back