Help with procedure for gold recovery from resin filled cartridges

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jawsm

Does anybody know about the best way to recover gold from resin coming from resin filled cartridges that were used to recover gold from the first rinse after the gold bath in an ENIG (Emersion Nickel Immersion Gold) process used as finish in PCB manufacturing?
The goal is to use a furnace with the sample in a crucible and then heat up to 1300 Degr C. At about 500 to 600 Degr. C the resin starts to burn. While temperature is rising to reach the melting point of the gold i would like to take out the crucible and pour the melted gold into a mold. Are there any steps that should be added in between? Maybe addition of borax and/or baking soda at some point? Do i need to get rid of the carbon resulting from the incineration first?

Thank you in advance for your response!

Best regards,

jawsm

Yes, here it is:

Brand: Siebec
Description: Ref.: 10681
Ion Exchange Resin for Metal Reclaimer

Thanks!

Gold adsorbed onto ion exchange resin beads is present in a totally different form to precipitated gold.

The gold on the beads is present as a massively high surface area deposit which will start to volatilise before the beads even start to burn.

The extra losses from the burning of the beads will ensure that your gold losses are high.

Your options are;

1. Wet ash the beads, not the most fun you can have.

2. Set up your ashing system so that all of the off gasses from the beads are sucked through a water bath or spray chamber as a capture mechanism.

3. Set up as in 2 above but with the gases passing through a canister of activated carbon similar to above mechanism.

I have always favoured route 3.

Gold losses after completion of the burning of the resin stage are minimal.

Deano

Is there not a way to convert the gold to metallic gold before incineration? Chemical reduction with SO2, or is the gold sequestered in the resin too deeply?

Deano said:
Gold adsorbed onto ion exchange resin beads is present in a totally different form to precipitated gold.

The gold on the beads is present as a massively high surface area deposit which will start to volatilise before the beads even start to burn.

The extra losses from the burning of the beads will ensure that your gold losses are high.

Your options are;

1. Wet ash the beads, not the most fun you can have.

2. Set up your ashing system so that all of the off gasses from the beads are sucked through a water bath or spray chamber as a capture mechanism.

3. Set up as in 2 above but with the gases passing through a canister of activated carbon similar to above mechanism.

I have always favoured route 3.

Gold losses after completion of the burning of the resin stage are minimal.

Deano

Remarks/questions to option 1:
Is this the method where 96% sulfuric acid and 5% hydrogenperoxide are used?

Remarks/questions to option 2:
Am i right that using this method, gold will be caught in solid state and not present in ionic state in the gas or spray trap?

Remarks/questions to option 3:
Is gold clustered in a solid state onto the carbon? How is the gold "harvested" in this case?

Thanks in advance for your remarks/advice!

The form of wet ashing employed is dependent on the substrate of the resin, the most common type is styrene/divinyl benzene cross linked but other forms are available. Styrene dvb resins are wet ashed with sulfuric/peroxide or other strong oxidants such as nitric/sulfuric and /or peroxide.

It is a perfect way for inexperience to lead to disaster.

As Geo said the fumes will condense as metallic gold both in a wet system or on activated carbon.

The easiest way for a small scale recovery of gold from the carbon is to ash the carbon and then digest the ash in aqua regia followed by use of a precipitant of your choice. Usually you try to get the gold level on the carbon as high as possible to minimise operational losses.

Deano

Post a picture of the cartridges. This is a form of liquid chromatography. Based of the type of bed/column and the type of resin there is an elution process. It washes the metal off by replacing it via its cation or anion. Some are basic some are acidic. With a plating bath I highly doubt that they are the media that you incinerate. If you haven't damaged the resin I might be interested in purchasing it from you. The beads are delicate so do compress them. PM me and I can try to assist further

Back