Hi all. Got alot of rocks w gold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be more specific about it, post pictures, results of analyze, anything that support that rocks you have are genuine ore, not just rocks. Quantity of the material... This is too general to raise any interst :)

Right on, i hear you. That was my initial introduce yourself post. I have sorted out about a hundred baseball sized quartz & brownish and darker rocks so far that have large visible veins that i put my continuity tester on and most give the beep beep.
I have busted some up and tried to pan with jet dry. Some of the gold does seem to flake and break when struck though. And some of it is colored very beautifully like blackhills gold having green, bronze, purple, blue, orange and pink metallic color. Im taking pics now that are in focus with lighting that are an accurate representation... so glad for your response, been wondering what it is, if i should i get an assay, thinking about tossing it in a naoh boil like the Aussie fellow on ytube....but yeah posting pics in a few. Preciate it.

You do not add acids to ore that has not been assayed/tested, not unless youbare tired if your health and life that is.
There can be all kinds of nasty toxic substances inside ores.
AR is waay to expensive to use in ores anyway.
There is a reason the big companies don’t use it.

Jesus....so much for my pics being an accurate representation...uuugh. I turned out the fluorescent lights that were making big ass scanning cycle black streaks across my screen and took pictures in the dark! Sweet! Even my flashlight was throwing black interference lines lol. But im posting a few pics for now untill i can get an app or something for the 50hz thing.
Yes Ygg you have a good point for sure. Im gonna pass on the arsenic for sure lol. I was roasting quartz rock and quenching it in water and im pretty sure a decent amount of liquid mercury appeared in my water. Wtf right? Thats when i saw the forest from the trees and wondered what else i had brought into the 3rd dimension in my quantum space/timeline...

Attachments

• IMG_20220923_100431.png
    IMG_20220923_100431.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220923_155432.jpg
    IMG_20220923_155432.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220923_155212211~2.jpg
    IMG_20220923_155212211~2.jpg
    764.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220923_155613~2.jpg
    IMG_20220923_155613~2.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220923_113055295_MP~3.jpg
    IMG_20220923_113055295_MP~3.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220923_130350006.jpg
    IMG_20220923_130350006.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20220923_080155418.jpg
    IMG_20220923_080155418.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220923_073004252.jpg
    IMG_20220923_073004252.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220923_113034524_MP.jpg
    IMG_20220923_113034524_MP.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • received_1152804195308961.jpeg
    received_1152804195308961.jpeg
    163 KB · Views: 0
  • received_5260075324101028.jpeg
    received_5260075324101028.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 0
  • received_400451652251530.jpeg
    received_400451652251530.jpeg
    36.1 KB · Views: 0
  • received_2040963096092757.jpeg
    received_2040963096092757.jpeg
    275.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20220923_143522.jpg
    IMG_20220923_143522.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 0
Gold that breaks is likely pyrite.
Test a bit of the panned concentrates with AR and stannous chloride.
Right, im wondering if i have mixed things going on. Because only some of it is breaky.
Ok cool, ive been wondering why i panned the concentrates....lol that sounds like a plan.

Last edited:
Definitely some beautiful chalcopyrite you have. What your seeing isn’t likely gold but there may still be some in there.

Crush it to a fine powder and slowly pan it down. If there’s gold it will be the very last thing in the pan.

I wouldn’t worry about stannous chloride at this stage. Crushing and panning would be my very first test if I had them.

Definitely some beautiful chalcopyrite you have. What your seeing isn’t likely gold but there may still be some in there.

Crush it to a fine powder and slowly pan it down. If there’s gold it will be the very last thing in the pan.

I wouldn’t worry about stannous chloride at this stage. Crushing and panning would be my very first test if I had them.

Oh thanks man, it is very beautiful indeed.
Its the continuity from one end to the other and that beep beep that im listening to in many of the rocks. I have a machine shop and some pipes that i reckon ill weld down and fill and start bangin and crankin out concentrates.
Maybe i posted too many of them pretty ones? Lol. Thanks, you are right, crushing and panning.
Yes of coarse....fine powder. No doubt.

In order to get some gold out of this chalcopyrite (if there's any), I would crush it coarse (~5mm), roast it, wet it for a few days, roast and crush it again.
This will oxidize the pyrite and make it crumble. This procedure will free the gold if it's embedded inside the pyrite.

Right, im wondering if i have mixed things going on. Because only some of it is breaky.
Ok cool, ive been wondering why i panned the concentrates....lol that sounds like a plan.
The given that you have so many metal sulfides, bright red crystals are quite likely cinnabar. Roasting will reduce that and produce pure mercury.

From what I'm seeing, there is quite possibly a fair amount of gold locked up in those chalcopyrites, and even in some of the 'massive' (non-crystalline) pyrites. But it will be very fine, down to nano-scale.

Look up Mount Baker Mining and Materials on Youtube. He has some VERY detailed vids on assaying pyrites with smelting and cupelling, including highly specific flux formulas for using up the sulfide and getting it to bind to iron in the smelt, using either gold or bismuth as a collector for the gold.

The given that you have so many metal sulfides, bright red crystals are quite likely cinnabar. Roasting will reduce that and produce pure mercury.

From what I'm seeing, there is quite possibly a fair amount of gold locked up in those chalcopyrites, and even in some of the 'massive' (non-crystalline) pyrites. But it will be very fine, down to nano-scale.

Look up Mount Baker Mining and Materials on Youtube. He has some VERY detailed vids on assaying pyrites with smelting and cupelling, including highly specific flux formulas for using up the sulfide and getting it to bind to iron in the smelt, using either gold or bismuth as a collector for the gold.
Oh wow cool, right on 👍. So it WAS mercury that showed up in my water after roasting that i was playing around with lol. Pretty unmistakable seeing it collecting in the water. I was honestly shocked and surprised when it happened. That got me thinking about arsenic and other shit that that i clearly don't know about ...pretty wild.
I checked out Mount Baker. I see now what you are saying about the sulfides and iron and what is going on with the bismuth. I can make that flux and get bismuth on Amazone, now i have an excuse to get some of that trippy ass bismuth lol.
So you are saying by the looks of my fantastic in the dark photos it might be worth my time. These stones are pretty much unlimited if you know what im saying.

It’s always worth the time if you ask the right person.

Half the fun in prospecting is doing the work, learning the way to capture the values if they exist. Then the gold is pretty cool too.

dennhg123, try to express yourself without the need for big ass, WTF, shit, trippy ass adjectives. Take a look through the rules at Gold Refining Forum Rules. My grandsons occasionally visit this site to see what papa has been rambling on about lately. Try to keep it clean and respectful.

As for your rocks, they're beautiful! You can probably make a lot more money by selling them as mineral specimens to rock collectors. Those rainbow colors are very desirable.

If you have cinnabar, do NOT roast it!!! If you've seen liquid mercury in your pan after roasting, you've released mercury into the atmosphere and downrange of where you've roasted it. Even if you stay upwind while you're roasting, some mercury is going to settle down into whatever soil, grass, vegetation, etc. is downwind. Now if anything, or anyone walks through that area, they're going to become contaminated.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not an anti-mercury fanatic. I played with it as a kid. If you follow a few precautions, it's as safe as many of the chemicals we use in refining. But I wouldn't take any of them and cast them into the wind, to land somewhere downwind on my, or someone else's property. Roasting ores with mercury, arsenic, cadmium, etc. is vary hazardous.

Dave

Roast it, pulverize again to >100 screen, run it through a high-banker with fine riffles or extra fine Dream Mat swirl patterns, collect the free milling gold, then run the resulting solids on a Miller Table...there may be a bit more gold shaking out, plus sulfides/sulfates. Roast then smelt the sulf- material. Jeff Williams has a good video about this in YouTube. He reports the pyrites/chalcopyrites he runs normally produce up to a couple grams of PGMs per couple pounds of starting material. My own experience is a little better, my material has gold/silver paystreaks running through it, plus significant PGMs. Careful when you smelt, the sulf- material can contain some pretty toxic elements, arsenic, for example. Do it in a very well ventilated area, and stay upwind.

Jesus....so much for my pics being an accurate representation...uuugh. I turned out the fluorescent lights that were making big ass scanning cycle black streaks across my screen and took pictures in the dark! Sweet! Even my flashlight was throwing black interference lines lol. But im posting a few pics for now untill i can get an app or something for the 50hz thing.
Yes Ygg you have a good point for sure. Im gonna pass on the arsenic for sure lol. I was roasting quartz rock and quenching it in water and im pretty sure a decent amount of liquid mercury appeared in my water. Wtf right? Thats when i saw the forest from the trees and wondered what else i had brought into the 3rd dimension in my quantum space/timeline...
Your photos are fine, the material is very pretty. Not to be insulting, this is they type of material I toss in my load when everything else that has visible or assayable/scannable values is already loaded. I'm saving some of the prettiest pieces to sell as samples, milling and smelting the rest. If you flake off some of the chalcopyrite, you can do a malleability test with a hammer and a flat steel surface. Gold with a high level of purity will cleanly flatten, the edges won't crack. It also has high ductility- you can draw it out into a very fine wire, if pure, about one ounce per mile. Silver is also malleable, just not as much as gold, and ductile but less so. Lesser % purity gold will flatten, but the edges will crack, especially if it contains lead, tin, copper. Pyrites will just shatter. Exposure to intense sunlight will make pyrites turn brownish due to surface oxidation. The stench of smelting pyrite is also pretty offensive, neighbors may complain.

Oh wow cool, right on 👍. So it WAS mercury that showed up in my water after roasting that i was playing around with lol. Pretty unmistakable seeing it collecting in the water. I was honestly shocked and surprised when it happened. That got me thinking about arsenic and other shit that that i clearly don't know about ...pretty wild.
I checked out Mount Baker. I see now what you are saying about the sulfides and iron and what is going on with the bismuth. I can make that flux and get bismuth on Amazone, now i have an excuse to get some of that trippy ass bismuth lol.
So you are saying by the looks of my fantastic in the dark photos it might be worth my time. These stones are pretty much unlimited if you know what im saying.
As others have said, many of those samples might be more valuable sold to geology collectors. The more intact crystals in them, and the more of an unusual mix of minerals, the more valuable they become.

Back