Hi, I'm 3speed....and I'm a knowledge addict!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3Speed

As stated I'm just addicted to knowledge. Mostly interested in gold refinery and finding ways to separate complex gold from host material. I'm from Alabama and live within a couple miles of Arbacoochie where one of the biggest mining towns in Alabama once stood. I've been fascinated with gold processing for maybe a year when a friend told me about Alabama's gold history. I had lived here for close to 15 years and never knew anything about gold even being around the area....now...I'm hooked....
The only thing I'm not to fond of, is all the toxic chemicals used in processing.... I can't help but think there's got to be a more eco friendly way. I'm far from a "tree hugger" but I'm also no so ignorant as to let myself believe that those chemicals are likely going to end up in the environment, especially into the water table. My grandfather, whose grandmother was a Native American medicine woman, told me something that she had told him as a young boy after she'd chosen him to carry on in her place..."We are Connected to the world around us, intertwind each depending on the other. Always respect the things nature provides to us and it will provide everything you need. There's no sickness that nature cannot cure...." So I can't help but wonder could I apply that in this situation. There has to be a simple way that no one has figured out....I guess u could say my hobby is trying to find it. So I read articles or anything else on gold refinery, properties of precious metals, non toxic chemicals processes and their ractions with precious metals, also watch any and everything I can find on the Subject, do a little experimenting to see what might work and rule out what won't. I'm not an expert or even close to one. I'm barely an amateur at best. I'm glad I came across this site. I look forward to reading everything that y'all have been so kind to write. I'll do my best to keep any questions I have to a minimum because I'm sure. Answering the same questions on repeat gets frustrating I'm sure. Thank You in advance.

Welcome to the forum.
If you do not wish to use chemicals then gravity separation is the only way forward which means you will have to crush the host material to a fine powder and then either pan or use a sluice to separate the heavy gold from the lighter host material.
A word of warning about using safer chemicals… many household chemicals can and will form toxic fumes and if used to dissolve material it will very likely produce toxic waste solutions.
Precious metals in general are very un reactive to chemical dissolution so whatever you use to dissolve them will be hazardous at least and deadly at worst.
Do not try dissolving ores until you know exactly what is in the mix as many ores contain toxic materials that become even more dangerous when dissolved whether that be the fumes or the solutions produced.

Many years ago the was a two part explosive that each part alone was non toxic, none explosive. Mix them together not only were they toxic the explosive would increase in power by adding more of the liquid side. Safer chemicals are safer, but when we add other things to them we change their nature into something else completely, In this field, very often into some very dangerous things, sometimes by accident at other because it is the easiest, safest way to accomplish the goal.

Best of Luck. Chime in with any fresh ideas.

Back