HLC and Clorex Color

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67eod

Never have seen something like this before: I had several ounces of foil off fingers that I add the HCL and clorex too the color is a dark orange almost red, has any one run into this? I used B/D to remove the gold, but the color of the solution stayed the same. I will test it stannus maybe that will tell me what it is.

Next question: I added some SMB to some A/P to see what dropped out and a white substance that looked like salt settled out. I washed it several times with distilled water and it looked almost pure white. I took it out side to get a better look and as soon as the sun hit it it turned gray/black, Silver??? I didn't know A/P would put silver in solution :?:

Old man learning something new.

Bob

Ok stupid question, what is B/D?

Your substance might be silver chloride, if it is you can put it in a container with distilled water add 10% sulfuric and a piece of steel and it will convert to silver metal.

Try adding some of the powder to HCl, if it dissolves ( which I suspect it will), it's copper I chloride.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I used Stannus to check the solution after I removed the gold with B/D. The color is a deep orange with red edges. according to the reactions list this should be Pt. The problem is these foils came off old boards that had gold on top and a silver color on the back of the foils. I didn't know hcl and clorex would put pt. in solution. What should I do to drop it out of solution.

Bob :?:

I routinely put PGMs into solution with HCl and chlorine, it is actually my preferred method. If you have PGMs in a dilute solution after your Au is removed, your best bet is to use zinc to precipitate them out then reprocess the precipitate as a more concentrated solution.

PS; You had mentioned SMB, Steve covered my ass in a recent post were I failed to mention that if you have a HCl solution that has had SMB added you will generate hydrogen sulfide gas when using zinc. This can kill you with ease if you do not take precautions.

Oz said:
I routinely put PGMs into solution with HCl and chlorine, it is actually my preferred method. If you have PGMs in a dilute solution after your Au is removed, your best bet is to use zinc to precipitate them out then reprocess the precipitate as a more concentrated solution.

PS; You had mentioned SMB, Steve covered my ass in a recent post were I failed to mention that if you have a HCl solution that has had SMB added you will generate hydrogen sulfide gas when using zinc. This can kill you with ease if you do not take precautions.

If there's Arsenic in the solution, it will generate Arsine (AsH3) gas.That will kill you even quicker. One good breath at 135 PPM is lethal.

Latest posts

Back