Hot dogs. Mlcc’s

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohiogoldfever

I have collected a a pound or better of these hot dog shaped MLCCs Over the last while. Along with many others of course.

Does anyone have expected yield for these little guys? I ask because I am still a long way off from processing my mlccs, and hoping to get a better sense of they are worth chasing as removal is a pain fishing the out from between IC chips.

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• 057AEA39-ABB5-473E-A9AC-1DBEB89A4996.jpeg
    057AEA39-ABB5-473E-A9AC-1DBEB89A4996.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 33
  • 74ADD068-87A0-4BF7-9092-213B235DC56E.jpeg
    74ADD068-87A0-4BF7-9092-213B235DC56E.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 33
Generally good . But you have legs and epoxy adding to weight so lower than "normal" Mlcc of good quality.

Identical ends= Mlcc. Not identical ends= tantal

What does that mean?
That means that the “hot dog style” MLCCs has more dead weight than the plain style (SMD) components.
They have legs and are wrapped in a protective ceramic.
If you crack the ceramic you will find an “ordinary” MLCC inside.
Same with Ta caps, but they are designed slightly different.
I have not seen them so I can’t elaborate more, maybe someone else can?

From the weight of bare ceramics, it can be few % of the weight, if they are Pd types. Hot dogs or other resin/plastic coated ones has some dead weight on them. Also, legs and solder are "dead weight".

It is very hard to predict yields as this material is very very inconsistent, if little is from this and there... Different eras, manufacturers, constructions, materials... Very very inconsistent stuff, unless you have reels of specifically one type from one manufacturer, or just stash of similar boards.

Incinerate them somewhere outside away from neighborhood, as lead is in the solder and some PbO vaporizes during the process. Dead incinerated caps are them shaken in the stainless strainer with application of just enough heat to liquify the solder and make it dribble off the material. Properly incinerated caps need no grinding or anything like that, as the ashes from resin will easily pulverize by just shaking motion. This also remove legs from them. You will swear a lot if you skip this part and deal with multi-base and PM metal dore with low PM content :) From my experience, loss of PMs in the "shaken off" solder is minimal to practically none. Just some silver is lost during the process, as the upper layer on the "sandwich" is typically silver one (again, from my experience).

What is left are bare ceramics, and these contain aforementioned few% of PMs by weight.

Back