How do ligands disassociate?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CattMurry

Ex. I wanted to ask if you guys out there know how the ligand disassociates in this formula. Trying to figure out what actions/laws do this. Looks like they just do out of nowhere....
2AuCl4- + 3SO2 + 6H2O → 2Au + 3SO4/2- + 8Cl- + 12H+

-unsure what category this falls under, but I assumed electro/magnetism/physics.

Oh wait. Is the SO4 -2 doing that? I get confused, because I thought 2AuCl- would be written like (2Au-Cl4-) / (Au-Cl-), or something like such. I assumed the Au would just be neutral (0) always while by itself, and the chloride salts somehow forced themselves onto it... any more in depth answers on how the chloride salt does that would be enjoyable though.

AuCl4- is formed from AuCl3, not from Au
1). My bad, and thank you for that correction. I didn't mean to mention it like that if I did. I was more asking how the Au accepts much of anything being pretty neutral (non-reactive), and in (0) oxidation state.
2). Also, I must have a bit of an off equation, because I did not notice it said the equation for tera instead of tri... Woops.
3). If you would be able to explain the physics, or even point me the direction of where to find it (how ligands move/work) that would also be greatly helpful to my understanding. Think Geo's webpage he mentioned may help, but I'm unsure
- Ion exchange - Wikipedia

Maybe I was too thick to understand it at the first quick read.

Last edited:
Back