How I ended up here...

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avery

Hi All,

I just joined the forum a few days ago after recently getting interested in the whole gold refining idea. Interestingly enough, it was actually anger that drove me to begin looking into it. I had been to an auction where several silver coins and bars were being sold and they were bringing outrageous prices (like 200-300% over spot price) and being bought by the same guy. I had simply wanted to buy maybe a 10 oz. silver coin for "good luck" while playing poker and such but the prices were just outrageous.

So then I realized that I had some old scrap gold jewelry lying around that I hadn't used in years (class ring, herringbone chains, nuggets, etc.). Adding everything together and adjusting for the karat, I would have had just shy of 1 troy ounce. Initially I tried to find a business that would refine it for me for a reasonable price and make me a gold bar. Well, apparently places like that don't exist or I had no luck finding one.

I did however run across a jeweler that I talked to over the phone who said that while he didn't do that, we might be able to trade out the jewelry for coins or a bar or something at his store. That sounded reasonable to me, so I gathered up my jewelry and off to the jewelry store I went. Needless to say, his definition of "trade" was quite different than my definition of "trade". Essentially he wanted to buy the jewelry at a 41% discount and then "trade" that for something in his store that included his mark up (which in my opinion was majorly double dipping). Obviously I balked and then I got the Pawn Stars lines about overhead, he was taking the risk, etc.

Now I understand that businesses have to make money and that the 41% discount is not out of line with what a lot a scrap jewelry dealers pay, but I felt like he got me in the store on the false premise of a "trade" thinking I was either desperate for money or that I had already partially committed so I would go through with it. Of course I left the store with a few choice words.

Later, I found a refinery online that only served businesses but their charge (assuming I understood it correctly) was a $50 and then the business got 98.5% of the gold's value after refining. So I got madder after realizing what he would have likely gotten from the jewelry he was trying to double dip me on.

So I decided I still wanted my gold bar and the only viable option seemed to make it myself, so here I am trying to learn how to do it.

Just wanted to make a quick edit to ensure I don’t accidentally offend anyone who may own a business buying scrap jewelry. I understand that it is common in the industry to pay ~60% of the value for scrap jewelry. The reason that I was turned off by the guy was the pretense of a “trade” and then the attempt to double dip.

Perhaps that’s normal but I read the situation as though he was trying to do a bait and switch or take advantage of my ignorance of the process. My purpose was not to insult any business owners here on the forum. I was just explaining my path to exploring gold refining.

Avery

To do this as a one off may be expensive so maybe take photos of what you have with good shots of marks and weights and see if someone wants to trade your scrap for a bar of 999 gold or perhaps toll refine it for you with a fair retention for the work done, there are a fair few on here who can be trusted but for all concerned I would do all the trade here on the forum so transparency is maintained for both parties.

Thanks nickvc.

That was my original intentional (to do it once) since I’ve been in between back surgeries for about the past 6 months and am waiting on another one so I’m absolutely bored out of my mind.

The more I’ve researched it, the more I think it is something I would like to do as a side hobby when I head back to work. I’ve already bought a little bit of equipment and am in the process of trying to build a furnace. And who knows, maybe one day I may turn a profit on something.

I just want to make sure I’m reasonably confident in my knowledge of what I’m doing before I start pouring chemicals together so I’m researching quite a bit before I make an attempt instead of diving in head first after watching a couple of YouTube videos.

It can be a fun hobby and even profitable if you can source material at reasonable cost, you seem to have the right attitude to make this work for you, in your situation I would advise you read Hoke, she wrote the book for non chemists and it covers karat scrap in detail, read it several times until it makes sense, if you don’t understand something just ask, we are all willing to help those who help themselves.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

realities on numbers can be all over the place

if your jeweler only gives 40% of gold value, he's not making his money on gold...he's making it on being a jeweler. if the pawnbroker is only paying 60%, they are making their money on preying on the ignorant or desperate.

98% with a $50 assay fee is reasonable if you don't have a business license of some sort. All the business license saves you for smaller amounts (less than 100 oz) is going to be that assay fee.

All I'm saying, is if you don't desperately want to refine gold, don't....because between handling the exhaust, losses, learning curve, chemicals, glassware, etc....you can easily spend an ounce of gold just getting up to speed.

My decision would be based on do I want the transmission fixed so you can drive the truck and get it back on the road doing business, or do I wish to spend years of my time learning to become the mechanic?

Back