how many days to refine

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Hoke book we use was written in 1940. I think it is the 3rd edition. I can't find it on the internet, but I think the 1st and 2nd editions were written in the 1930s.

Wow was I off on that,I just looked at my copy,1940.Sorry about that qst.I still stand by what I said in the rest of the post though.
Johnny

My Hokes copy is from 1940 and looks like a first edition, it doesn't list any others. Her precious metals testing book I have is from 1946
second edition, and says the first edition was published in "The Brass World".
Jim

leavemealone said:
Copperas:can be used to preciptate gold out of a solution,is not specific to gold like SMB so it will also precipitate most other digested metals out of a solution as well
That isn't true. Copperas (ferrous sulfate) is an excellent precipitant, and is very selective. It does not precipitate base metals, nor does it precipitate platinum. The book isn't closed on palladium, but it's not closed on palladium with sulfur dioxide (SMB), either. My experience dictates that palladium is quick to come down with gold, be it by precipitation or drag-down.

Were it not for the inconvenience of having to dissolve copperas with water, increasing volumes beyond that which I considered desirable for my operation, I would have continued its use. In its place I used a bottle of SO2. I would have stayed with copperas in lieu of SMB.

I recommend readers pay due respect to the use of copperas. It's one of the better choices, and is readily available and is relative benign, being used as a fertilizer. It also has the added benefit of being useful when making tests with mixed solutions.

Harold

leavemealone said:
Actually Hokes book was written about 100 years ago,she was a pioneer in her day and accredited for almost all of the procedures and methods that we use today.
I, particularly, credit Hoke for everything I learned pertaining to the reclamation of gold, platinum and palladium. My knowledge of silver came from other sources, for she looked upon silver with some contempt, recommending it be sent to major refiners. That, of course, was not, and is not, a good idea. Silver, being an excellent carrier of the platinum metals, can be worth more in contained precious metals than the silver itself, assuming it has been used for inquartation where such values are contained within. That was often the case in my operation.

Back to Hoke, while she wrote the book from which I, and most others have learned, she is not the one credited with much of the knowledge. And, has already been established, the book is not 100 years old, being published in 1940. Instead, it was her father, Sam, I believe (please correct me if I am wrong. It has been years since I last read on the subject). He was a well known and respected metallurgist, primarily in the platinum group of metals. In addition, the Hoke torch can be added to his list of achievements.

While some of the information in Hoke's book isn't applicable to those of you that refine e scrap, the book should be studied by anyone and everyone that is involved in refining. What it does for those that read is expose them to testing methods that are universal, and methods of refining that can easily be applied to almost anything encountered. It is a serious mistake to pursue a single method without having an understanding of others---many of which may be far better suited to the task at hand.

Harold

golddie said:
I would like to know how many days it should take to do an ordinary refining of scrap gold from jewelry
Depends on the amount of metal. An ounce can easily be fully processed from scrap to pure gold in a day, assuming you have at your disposal the proper acids and know how to use them without excess. As the volumes increase, more time is involved, particularly if evaporating is a part of the routine (it was for me). Because I chose to work with concentrated solutions, they had to be evaporated to lower the volume of HCl, so the solution wouldn't destroy the filter paper. Those that work with dilute solutions don't face that problem.

When I re-refined my gold, I generally processed 75 ounces, plus or minus a few ounces. Start to finish, I could process the gold in three days, max., and often only two. Waiting for the gold to settle, assuming it did not come down quite dense, often was the reason it took longer. Washing and drying the gold took the better part of a full day.

Harold

oef62nd said:
Use it this a weed killer LOL

Keith

Use it this a weed killer?

Small wonder I continue to delete your posts, considering the poor content.

That sounds like something I'd expect from you, considering your lack of respect for those of us that have given you free advice, to be repaid with your attitude of contempt and disrespect. It's fitting that you would treat the environment no differently than you treat those around you.

Funny---some people never seem to get past being in high school----makes no difference that they've been away for years.

Slept through English, did you?

Harold

That isn't true. Copperas (ferrous sulfate) is an excellent precipitant, and is very selective

Sorry I haven't used it in a while but I thought it wasn't selective.I have access to SMB anytime I run out so I no longer have the need to use copperas in a pinch.
Johnny

Latest posts

Back