How to extract silver

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crimsoncarp

Hey guys, ive been useing nitric acid to get the copper and silver out of my scrap before the AR for the gold. I am left with a blue liquid which i am assumeing are the base metals in solution which i have been takeing to the chem labs at my university for disposal. I have finally decided to attempt takeing the silver out. Ive heard the the process involves a zinc strip and ading HCL to the mix but im not too sure about the details; if someone could clear this up for me it would be much appriciated.

If you "cement" to copper, you will get any pd you may have picked up. Depending on your source or type of scrap.

If you add HCL or sodium chloride, you will have your silver as the chloride, which will need further reduction before melting.
There are threads here that cover these methods extensively.
The copper route can save you trouble.
Randy

much appriciated guys ive found the threads and the videos. Ill post a few pics of what i come up with. Cheers

Hello crimsoncarp go to books section and download cw amen book every thing available in book step by step .

link is here

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=1379&start=40

Just wanted to ask in the cementing of the silver using copper metal process is the solution of Ag and Cu nitrate neutralised to remove the excess nitric acid.

Generally speaking no, in fact a little free nitric helps get the reaction going.

If you find you are getting a lot of NOx fumes ( brown gases), then you do have too much left over nitric and should consider dissolving some more silver into the solution so the precious nitric isn't wasted.

It's also wise to dilute the silver/copper nitrate solution with 1/3 to 1/2 of it's volume with distilled water so that copper nitrate crystals do not form as the solution becomes saturated when the solid copper dissolves.

Steve

Hey Steve I did as you instructed and showed in the video but when I inserted the copper into the mixture the reaction was not as fast and there was no silver being precipitated on the surface. What was produced was a white fluffy looking precipitate that slowly settled to the bottom of the container. The solution went from a dark green to the sky blue colour. Any ideas?

I have read enough posts here to lead me to believe that the white
fluffy stuff dropping out of the solution is your silver. See Steve's
video on silver and I believe it shows the information you need there.

AND.................................

While your at it, donate something to his wenbsite (if you have not
already done so) especially if you have received any benefit from what
he has provided for you. 8)

The 'white' fluffy stuff is indeed the silver.

It appears white when it is nearly pure and in a finely divided state.

Be sure to rinse it with plenty of water, until the rinse water no longer turns blue when a drop of ammonia hydroxide is added to it.

Steve

Latest posts

Back