how to get rid of the tin paste ?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kipselis

Hello. I have gold flakes in a tin paste. M Hooke in his book suggest, that you can get rid of that tin paste by adding sulphuric acid and warming gently. I did try it two times, but it doesn´t work. In some chemistry book i read, that it is possible to get rid of it by melting tin paste with the strong base. Any other suggestions? Thank you!

kipselis said:
Hello. I have gold flakes in a tin paste. M Hooke in his book suggest, that you can get rid of that tin paste by adding sulphuric acid and warming gently. I did try it two times, but it doesn´t work. In some chemistry book i read, that it is possible to get rid of it by melting tin paste with the strong base. Any other suggestions? Thank you!
Is it safe to assume that you decanted the dissolved material, or did you just add the sulfuric and permit it to remain?

Long ago I posted on incineration and HCl washes to eliminate filtration problems with tin. It works.

Harold

Mr. Harold, I have added sulphuric acid( 200 ml for 1 liter of the tin paste) and heated it allmost to the boiling for a few hours. But the ammount of the tin paste wasn´t reduced.

kipselis said:
Mr. Harold, I have added sulphuric acid( 200 ml for 1 liter of the tin paste) and heated it allmost to the boiling for a few hours. But the ammount of the tin paste wasn´t reduced.

You have had 2 people recomend that you need to use HCL. Why did you use sulfuric?

Is it safe to assume that you decanted the dissolved material, or did you just add the sulfuric and permit it to remain?

Long ago I posted on incineration and HCl washes to eliminate filtration problems with tin. It works.

Harold

YOU SHOULD BE FINE USING HcL.
JOHNNY

Heat until you have dried the material. Remove from the glass vessel and place the solids in a pan. Incinerate hot enough to eliminate all of the combustible materials (at least 1,100° F). Screen the ash, crushing well with a mortar and pestle any lumps. You should then give the solids a good wash with HCl. Rinse well, using tap water. Allow the solids to settle completely, then decant with a small hose. When the rinse water is clear of color, you should then dissolve the values with AR, or your choice of chemicals.

The resulting material will now permit filtration to separate the dissolved values. Without the incineration and HCl wash, you will have endless difficulty filtering. Follow these instructions to the letter.

Harold

a tool I use for decanting with looks similar to a turky baster suction bulb, with a small orfice tip.
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&um=1&sa=1&q=asepto+syringe&aq=0&oq=asepto+&aqi=g1&start=0
And when getting that last little bit I use plastic eye dropper, http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&um=1&sa=1&q=plastic+eye+dropper&aq=f&oq=&aqi=&start=0
controlling speed of suction with bulb can get almost all the liquid without disturbing the powder.

Thats a great idea butcher,I usually decant normally,but if the powder is dirty it is very fine and tries to "escape" with the last bit of solution.....lol.
Johnny

Latest posts

Back