How to Read a Densitometer

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Appleidet

I bought a 450.00 Densitometer and it came with No instructions about how to read the numbers it computes. I’m a little miffed, when I talked to the seller, they were a middle man. I tracked it down to a manufacturer on Alibaba. They don’t make it anymore. Anyway, does anyone know how to read the numbers and make sense of it? Thanks.

Thanks for reply!,,it weighs solids in water. I’m afraid your talking way over my head. What in laymen’s terms is gr/cm3 or kg/liter.

Or is it one that weighs solids in water and calculates the density?
Still the reading would be in gr/cm3 or kg/liter.
Im afraid I bought this and didn’t know what it really was. I bought it because I thought it would measure how much gold and silver I have in my vermeil jewelry. The jewelry is sterling with a layer of gold over the top. It’s not a gold wash over sterling, the gold layer is thicker. I also have gold and silver combos I’d like to calculate as well. Is this possible with this machine or did I mess up? Thanks for any help.

Gold plating will not change the overall density of a piece much.
Karat gold has very different densities though. Pure gold is 19.3gr/ml and copper and silver are about half that. So you could tell the difference by measuring density.
Most karat gold will have a stamp.

If you take one kubic centimeter, which is one mililiter ofa substance, e.g. water, it weighs 1 gram. Thats 1 gr/ml density.
That same volume of gold will weigh 19.3 gram, and that same volume in lead will weigh 11.3 gram. Copper is 8.9 gr/ml.

Back