How to recover gold from ''bombing effect'' solution

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erinda

Hi everyone!

I'd like to discuss how to recover gold from a cyanide solution.

We polish the jewels using Sodium Cyanide and Hydrogen Peroxide and after mixing them happen a ''bombing effect'' that makes the jewels cleaner!
I store the solution and till now I've treat it with sodium hydroxide and some aluminium. 
The result is that I have accumulated a quantity of sludge and I'm not sure how to get the gold from it.
I don't think aqua regia process would be a good idea... because of the cyanide...

Does anyone has any idea how to treat this kind of gold waste?

Thank you 

One way is to dissolve the sludge with excess caustic soda. But if the sludge contains carbonate that may be too late.
For future: one option to use less aluminum and more water dilution. A second option to destroy cyanide with hypochlorite at first

In future just use zinc dust to cement the values out and filter powder and rinse well before dissolving the zinc in Hcl.
To treat what you have I’d filter it wash through with plenty of water to remove the cyanide residue and in a fume hood dissolve the aluminum with Hcl filter the residence and dissolve in AR.

Back